Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Vaccines tomorrow-nervous!

My LO had her hepatitis vaccine in the hospital and at 1 month, but tomorrow she'll get the measles, mumps, rubella (regular 2 month vaccines).

I keep looking at her tonight & thinking how devastating it would be if there's truth to the theory that vaccines/preservatives can cause autism... I hate it that the nurse has me hold her hands & look into her eyes too when she gives the shot. LO totally associated me with the pain from her 1 month hepatitis vaccine!

Me: 42, DH: 43. We are so grateful to have a 2yr old daughter, conceived naturally after 3 miscarriages & no treatments (our Dr. gave us 1 more month to try on our own before advacing to IVF, & we conceived her naturally in January 2010)! Trying since April 2011 without sucess....MD said we were both "fine" & that if it wasn't happening, it was a chromosomal issue. Finally started Follistim 225mcg injections with an Ovidrel trigger November 2012. Bleeding 11 days post Ovidrel on November 25th. Starting the whole lab/Ultrasound/Follistim cycle again on November 27th...

Re: Vaccines tomorrow-nervous!

• If you aren't comfortable with the vacc schedule, put him on a delayed one. Lucas only gets 2 shots per visit. He ends up getting vaccines at every well baby check up, but I feel much more comfortable - he's still getting vaccinated and isn't a danger to himself or anyone else, just isn't receiving a ton at once.

Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
                07.30.10          08.17.12           
  • I never thought about that. Did your doctor give you a hard time? 
    Me: 42, DH: 43. We are so grateful to have a 2yr old daughter, conceived naturally after 3 miscarriages & no treatments (our Dr. gave us 1 more month to try on our own before advacing to IVF, & we conceived her naturally in January 2010)! Trying since April 2011 without sucess....MD said we were both "fine" & that if it wasn't happening, it was a chromosomal issue. Finally started Follistim 225mcg injections with an Ovidrel trigger November 2012. Bleeding 11 days post Ovidrel on November 25th. Starting the whole lab/Ultrasound/Follistim cycle again on November 27th...
  • Loading the player...
  • I asked my pedi to give the DTaP shot separately since I am allergic to it. I wanted to single it out to see if DD had the same reaction. My pedi had no problem what-so-ever with my decision to do this. It was totally my call. I would talk to your pedi about options if you are uncomfortable with thes.
  • Not even a little. After his 2 month shots (he only had DTaP and Hib) he still ran a low grade fever. I felt better about my decision to break them up. 
    Lucas Edward | Aiden Anthony
                07.30.10          08.17.12           
  • My LO also has her 2 month appointment tomorrow and is getting 4 shots!  I kept talking to her telling her we will both get through it...ugh!  I'm def going to get all teary eyed.
  • DS had his today and the anticipation was so much worse than the actual event. He cried (and I cried) when it happened but once I picked him up and comforted him he was fine and was even smiling again before we left the office. DS had all three recommended shots as well as the Rotavirus liquid (he loved it), ask about the preservatives you are concerned about. Mu doctor told me that countless studies have shown no link with autism (so that helped ease my mind) but that all the vaccinations they use (with the exception of the flu shot which DS is too young to get) don't even have that particular preservative (so that relieved any doubts I had).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's all bunk. Talk to your doctor if you're nervous, but not only has that study been completely discredited, but the dude that pushed it has lost his medical license. I can't believe how many thousands of parents he's misled, and how many babies he's put in danger for his own personal gain. It's appalling.

The very very very very slim chance your baby has of getting an adverse reaction of any kind from a vaccine is totally outweighed by the true horribleness of the diseases he might otherwise get. 

A really good rundown of each vaccine and what they protect from and what the rumors are about them can be found in Baby 411. 

That all being said, I'm REALLY surprised that your pedi is giving the MMR vacc to a two month old, as it's usually not recommended to babies under one year. (That's actually one of the reasons people were willing to jump on the autism link bandwagon -- as MMR vaccines were given to 12-15 month old babies, which is when autism tends to start being noticeable). Are you sure that's what he's getting? The common 2 month old vaccs are Dtap, IPV, Prevnar, HIB, and sometimes Rototeq.  Double check what your baby is getting!

• I was wrong about the MMR. It was the rotavirus oral vaccine & then DTAP. The mumps, & rubella vaccine is the one I always think of when i think of vaccines, but I'm not a medical person so I didn't know....

LO was good right after the vaccines, very irritable this evening, & is now asleep. Hopefully it's for a good few hours. She's been sleeping 6 in a row for the past week so maybe tonight will be longer?!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"