January 2011 Moms
Options

Need thoughts and ideas

So I don't really post much, I'm mainly a lurker, but I've come across a situation where I need some help. 

Backstory: My husband has seizures, and they we're onset late in life (meaning no prior history of seizures before May of 2009).  Since then, he has had a seizure every few months, probably every 3 months.  Well once he got his medicine regulated, we have gone almost a year without a seizure (last one February 2010).  Well in the state of Colorado, after 6 months seizure-free, you are able to drive a vehicle. He has also never had a seizure later than 4 am, and he's always had his seizures in his sleep.

Current issue:  On Friday, my DH and I were going to go Black Friday shopping and we got up at about 3 o'clock in the morning.   Well we got ready, and DH got into the truck, backed out and stopped to let me in (we have a long driveway and I couldn't get in the passenger seat where the truck was previously parked).  I got in the car, and he just put the truck in drive and at that time had a seizure.  I didn't realize what was happening until I looked up (I was double checking the time on my phone) and realized we we're heading for another car. I looked over and he was seizing.  At that time, I reached over and pulled the wheel so we wouldn't hit this little car (it would have been totaled) and tried my best to put the car in neutral or park, whatever I could get to first.  Needless to say, I didn't get to it in time, and we ended up hitting another truck. Police we're called and we we're taken to the hospital.  We are both ok, but due to this seizure, my husband cannot drive.  What would you all recommend I do when I go into labor?  The in-laws are currently living in Wyoming, grandma and grandpa in law are located an hour away, my sister isn't capable of driving due to medical issues and lack of car, and my mother works as a nurse in the hospital so she is constantly on call, and I don't know that she will be available to take me when needed.  I'm due January 16th, and my hospital is located about 30 minutes away. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Dx PCOS July 2011 BFP 07/28/2012, Due 04/09/2013 Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Need thoughts and ideas

• Options

Do you have any really good friends who you could ask to be your ride, with them knowing that you could be calling them in the middle of the night?

If not and if the Grandparents-in-law are retired could you host them for a few days/weeks around your due date?

I suppose worst case scenario you could always hope that you go into labor when your mom is not working, and if she is you could take a taxi to the hospital. I would imagine 30 miles would be a little pricey, but it's far cheaper than the ticket that DH would get if he was caught driving again and it's not like it would be a reoccurring expense.

Kate & Eric Married 10.10.09

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We've thought about having family stay with us around our due date, but unfortunately grandma in law had stroke a week and a half ago and needs to stay home =(   I will have to look into the Taxi option and see what we can do about that.  I am thinking I'm going to ask my OB and see if there is anyway I can go in during early labor before I start hurting really bad, and that gives me the option to take my car, so I can have the car seat brought in, and I can leave a few bags in the car.  Also that gives me time to find someone to drive us home
    Dx PCOS July 2011 BFP 07/28/2012, Due 04/09/2013 Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is a tricky situation to be in. If you have a close friend that would be willing to be on call that would probably be your best bet. However with the in laws only an hour away I bet you'll have time for them to get down to you and take you to the hospital before your labor progesses very far. I went into labor with DS at midnight. I didn't call the Dr. until 3:30am and didn't leave for the hospital until 4:30. We stopped and picked up my mother on the way. So if you call your in laws right when you think you're in labor they will likely have enough time to get down there. Good luck and try not to stress too much about it.

• Options
    Wow, that is really scary. I'm glad you guys are ok...it sounds like you are in a really tough spot! I would definitely second the taxi (my mom took one when I was being born, but it was in the same town). Or you might have to fork over the dough and maybe take an ambulance to transport you. I would then get someone to come get you and bring the car seat when you are ready to go home - at least your family will have more of a heads up. Or even a car service can take you home and your mom can just drop off the car seat. HTH.
  • Options
    Thank you all! You have given me some nice things to think about.  It's just hard to come up with some ideas on your own (this whole ordeal has got so many aspects to it that are stressing me out, I'm just trying to work through them one by one so I don't get myself too stressed out, but have a plan in place in case I don't make it to my due date)
  • Options

First, you must have someone that lives near you who could drive you to the hospital. I definitely have people that are closer who I'd call first, but there are also people who I know and I'm not super close with who live very close by and if it gets to the point that I need to go immediately I'd call them. I really can't imagine someone saying no to taking you to the hospital when you're in labor.

Second, you can call an ambulance to take you. By law (at least in NY state) if you call, the ambulance must transport you. In my area, they bring you to the closest hospital (or at least a close hospital). Call your local ambulance and ask them about it/explain the situation.

Third, call the police department and ask for their thoughts. I bet that you could arrange with them to have a cop bring you to the hospital. It's not like this is something you're going to do regularly or that you're taking advantage of the system. This is a legitimate safety issue and I imagine that the police can help you in some way.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's relapse. Does it always happen early in the morning if he was sleeping before or has it happened when he's been awake all night? I can't imagine how scary this is for you and for him and I hope he gets the treatment he needs.

Finally, and I don't meant to be snarky and usually don't do this, but I just wanted to point something out because it made your post really challenging to read:

we're = we are

were = plural past tense of 'to be'

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Options
    RedZee, I appreciate your help, and sorry about the spelling issue. I'm on an old computer where the buttons don't really work very well, and I try to spell check but sometimes I just miss certain things.  About our neighbors, I do agree and I know they would take me, but I am a planner, and it stresses me out not having a plan in place at least. I know this is a last resort type thing, and I do have options, but like I said before, I'm just trying to break down each aspect of the issue and am trying to figure out a plan.  I'm going to go around to our closest neighbors and get their contact information just to have in case I need it.  We do have a firehouse right down the street from our house so an ambulance is not the issue, but the hospital closest to our house is not the hospital I'm delivering at. (Again, as a last resort, it really doesn't matter what hospital I deliver at, as long as both myself and the baby are safe, but I did not have a good experience at this hospital and would like to avoid it if at all possible). 
  • Options
    And about my husband's seizures,  he normally is in a dead sleep when he has his seizures, but also has multiple seizures when he does end up having one.  Before the issue was getting his medication regulated or him forgetting his medicine, but he's gotten in a habit of taking his medicine and doesn't forget it because his job depends on him being on this medication.  We think his relapse occurred because his medicine requires a close watch on his blood levels, and his neurologist hasn't ordered a blood test in over 6 months. We think his dose should have been altered, it just hasn't been.  We're now looking into getting him on a different medication that doesn't require blood draws so often and is not so hard on his liver.
  • Options
    RedZee, sorry I didn't realize what you were talking about in terms of spelling, I thought I just forgot apostrophes where they were supposed to be and realize now what you are talking about. I have no idea what was going through my brain when I originally typed this, but thank you for pointing that out to me.  I just need to get my head on straight =)
  • Options

You suggested talking to your OB about staying at the hospital when in early labor- I would try that, too. See if there are hotels in the area that you could stay at if you get turned away or they won't let you stay (for lack of bed space, what-have-you) at the hospital. Both hospitals in my area have a handful of hotels within a 5-minute drive.

I've had co-workers who've driven themselves 30 minutes to the hospital in active labor (which probably really sucked) because their spouse couldn't get off work (on the flight line) at the moment. If your labor isn't extremely painful, you can drive yourself- but I would only suggest that if you're already at a hotel close by.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageaeasterl0320:
    RedZee, I appreciate your help, and sorry about the spelling issue. I'm on an old computer where the buttons don't really work very well, and I try to spell check but sometimes I just miss certain things.  About our neighbors, I do agree and I know they would take me, but I am a planner, and it stresses me out not having a plan in place at least. I know this is a last resort type thing, and I do have options, but like I said before, I'm just trying to break down each aspect of the issue and am trying to figure out a plan.  I'm going to go around to our closest neighbors and get their contact information just to have in case I need it.  We do have a firehouse right down the street from our house so an ambulance is not the issue, but the hospital closest to our house is not the hospital I'm delivering at. (Again, as a last resort, it really doesn't matter what hospital I deliver at, as long as both myself and the baby are safe, but I did not have a good experience at this hospital and would like to avoid it if at all possible). 

I totally understand planning it out - but try not to stress over it and overthink it. I'd call the firehouse and see if they'd take you to the farther hospital. DH is an EMT and they mainly transport to one hospital that's very close, but they will also transport to a couple of the other hospitals that are not super far. That's why I think it might be worthwhile to call the firehouse AND the police now and explain the situation and see if they can assist you. The main issue is that if the ambulance transports far they can't take another call for a longer period of time. Depending on how many ambulances and EMTs/medics they have, your firehouse might still be able to do it. I can't see a reason why the police would NOT do it. It's an issue of safety and it's an emergency. I think 1 or 2 phone calls will just put your mind at ease completely. GL!

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Options
    Wow, I'm glad you are both ok.  So scary.  Anyway, if you go to the hospital during early labor, you can probably drive yourself.  Then just don't officially check in until you are a bit further along or maybe get yourself a hotel room near the hospital that you can take a cab from or walk.  The other thought is take a cab from your house to the hospital if your mom or friends aren't available.  Worse case scenario, have ILs come stay with you when you get closer to your EDD until you go into labor.  Understanding it could be 3-4 weeks.  Sorry you are going through this and I hope DH can get some help for this condition.
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"