Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Sign Language...

Is anyone teaching their LO sign language ?  do you have any book or DVD recommendations ? We saw a friend of ours that has a 15 mo old DD and she is learning sign language in her daycare since she was 3 mo, she is already talking so well and repeats everything her mom says !

Re: Sign Language...

• I love whole communication.  I'm starting with Asher this month!  I wrote to my friend who is an SLP to ask for a good recommendation as far as a book and when I hear back from her, I'll post here. 
    Asher Benjamin and Lola Aisling

Infertility
    PCOS, Progesterone Deficiency Disorder, Multiple Miscarriage
    Clomid, Metformin, Ovadril, PIO, P17 Iron/Platlet Tranfusion

My Spring Babies! 
    <3 Angel Baby   Elisabeth Adelle  April 2008 <3
    Asher Benjamin  April 2010
    Lola Aisling  May 2014
  • I just started with DS I downloaded the Smart Hands app on my iPod. Right now I just have the free one, but I like it, so I think I will buy the full version for $5.
    My big boy image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • i just looked up the sign for milk and started doing it before feeding monster. he picked it up in a few days. i dont know what to do next, lol..
  • Thanks ladies !!! I can't wait to start!!!
  • Your daughters is ADORABLE!  We will be starting sign language with her at 6 months because that's when the book recommends you start...although daycare does do one word a week with them.  How much they are doing with her individually I am not sure because she is the youngest in the infant group, but there are older ones they might work with more on the sign language.  I got a book from my boss who has a sister-in-law that's a teacher.  I will find the name and let you know.  
  • We've been doing it since day one. We do eat, milk, more, done, play, bath, thank you, mama, daddy I think that's it. They say around 8-9 months he should start doing them himself but he already responds specially the milk one when he's hungry! lol and he kinda does milk but I'm not sure if he's just opening and closing his hand or signing milk! lol

• I've done sign language with both of my girls. DD2 just gave me her first sign today -- we started off with "milk" and I've been demonstrating it for her for a couple of months now. DD1 didn't start signing back until closer to a year. 

I really like it! DD1 used about a dozen signs -- please, thank you, eat, drink (for a sippy), milk, bath, book, etc. It was really great between 12-24 months when she got very good at signing back, but even before that, she recognized the signs and could communicate "yes" or "no" in response to them and that was helpful in itself. 

I got the Everything Baby Sign Language book which came with a CD, but I only used it for a little while. I find that I use online ASL dictionaries more often, and they're free!

And it was NBD for DD1 to verbalize, either -- she just naturally dropped the signs as she learned the right words. She rarely ever uses signs anymore, and even then it's only please, thank you and I'm sorry, b/c sometimes she just gets stubborn and doesn't want to say them. :)

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • imagelite-bright:

And it was NBD for DD1 to verbalize, either -- she just naturally dropped the signs as she learned the right words. She rarely ever uses signs anymore, and even then it's only please, thank you and I'm sorry, b/c sometimes she just gets stubborn and doesn't want to say them. :)

what a smart little cookie lol!

• My Very First Signs: A Lift-The-Flap Sign Language Book

by Heather J Rosas

And the Baby Einstein's (sp) Sign Language movie.

Though I get more laughs still right now so I haven't been strong and consistant.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageangelame1979:
    Your daughters is ADORABLE!  We will be starting sign language with her at 6 months because that's when the book recommends you start...although daycare does do one word a week with them.  How much they are doing with her individually I am not sure because she is the youngest in the infant group, but there are older ones they might work with more on the sign language.  I got a book from my boss who has a sister-in-law that's a teacher.  I will find the name and let you know.  

Thank you so much !!! Please post the name of the book when you get it !

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"