Babies on the Brain
Options

Moms with asthma

Did you stay on your meds while pg?

I stopped taking mine when I got my BFP, and have had 2 attacks since then. NP is thinking I should stay on it.

If you did stay on meds, what kind did you take?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Moms with asthma

• Options
    I was on a rescue inhaler, and did use it while pregnant. My dr said it's more important for me to breathe than the minimal risk for the baby.
  • Options

I take QVAR, which is a steroid, and a rescue when I need it. I haven't needed it in months until the last few days.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageizzybella:
    I was on a rescue inhaler, and did use it while pregnant. My dr said it's more important for me to breathe than the minimal risk for the baby.

This exactly.

I don't use corticosteroids or other daily meds anymore. My asthma is controlled because I go to the chiropractor.

• Options
    Stupid question.  Do the rush of hormones cause an increase in attacks?  
  • Options
    Pregnancy really screws with your respiratory system! Why did you stop taking them?
  • Options

imageizzybella:

This.

Photobucket
    Nursed without dairy, egg, soy, peanut, treenut, fish, shellfish or beef for over a year.
    Currently tandem nursing dairy, egg, and shellfish free.
    DS born via emergency c/s after 20 hrs of labor. DD successful VBAC!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Learning Liam
  • Options

imageMysterious_wife:
    Stupid question.  Do the rush of hormones cause an increase in attacks?  

I'm not sure, but I think they could.

It's also been very cold (for SoCal), and the a/c has been blasting in my classroom. I am easily aggrivated by the cold.

• Options
    I told you not to stop taking them
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I stopped because information on corticosteroids is quite conflicting. I emailed my dr, but I don't have an appointment for 3 weeks, so I don't really know what to do.
  • Options
    Yeah I used my inhaler way more when pregnant than not pregnant. 
  • Options

My OB's philosophy was that mom needs to breathe so any meds that were necessary to make that happen were okay.

Colin has also been on asthma meds since he was 8 weeks old and we haven't seen any ill effects (I do realize these are 2 different things though).

• Options

imageTotallyNot_Isha:
    I stopped because information on corticosteroids is quite conflicting. I emailed my dr, but I don't have an appointment for 3 weeks, so I don't really know what to do.

Your baby needs oxygen, so your body needs more oxygen.  Take the GD meds.

photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Definately take them. I was told by my OB and allergist that if I used my resuce inhalor more then twice in one week to go back on my daily meds, which was asminex. You need to be able to breathe easily, bottom line.
    Photobucket
    Nursed without dairy, egg, soy, peanut, treenut, fish, shellfish or beef for over a year.
    Currently tandem nursing dairy, egg, and shellfish free.
    DS born via emergency c/s after 20 hrs of labor. DD successful VBAC!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Learning Liam
  • Options

I have very mild asthma only caused by my very severe allergies.  I will use my rescue inhaler as needed as my doc said it is okay.  My biggest problem was they wanted me to go off allegra-d onto zyrtec and I did but it didn't work which caused my asthma to flare up badly. 

I talked to the doctor and she said after the first tri, I could go back on regular Allegra (with Sudafed as needed) because breathing is the most important thing.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    please go back on your meds - the benefits far outweigh the risks, especially if your NP agrees. I took Pulmicort and singulair (plus albuterol when needed) throughout. 
  • Options
    imageweelass24:

imageTotallyNot_Isha:

Your baby needs oxygen, so your body needs more oxygen.  Take the GD meds.

I know I already answered but I could not possibly agree more. 

• Options

Thanks for posting that. I've been wondering the same thing. I have severe asthma and worry about it since we will be TTC next year.

But like everyone else said, I've always heard that its better for you to be able to breathe properly in order to make sure baby is okay. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"