Stay at Home Moms
Options

Planning to SAH, insurance question

We're hoping to TTC soon, and plan for me to be a SAHM.

Currently we're on my insurance b/c it's cheaper and better coverage than what DH's company offers. My question is, how does the insurance work out if I don't return to work? Can I pay COBRA to keep that policy until after delivery, then switch to DH's plan? Or do we need to switch to DH's plan before TTC?

The Fluffy Cat says... "Boxes are the best toys ever invented!"

Re: Planning to SAH, insurance question

• Options

If your insurance is better, I would just stay on it through your pregnancy.  Since you are having a baby and if you quit your job, usually you would be allowed to jump onto your hubby's insurance pretty quick (I want to say that most will allow you to enroll when there is a new member of the family and also if a spouse stops working).

I could totally be wrong about the above though.  I would call just to be sure.  But even if you can't get added to your hubby's insurance right away, then yes - you will be able to pay COBRA (ouch!) until you get picked up by his.  

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options

I just went through this actually. My DH and I were on my insurance, I decided that I was not going to return to work. We stayed on my insurance until my contract (I was a teacher) ended and my insurance was done. We were going to do COBRA until I delivered in early August, however I found out that because we were eligable to take DH's insurance that we had to take his insurance.

In other words if you are able to be on your DH's insurance you have to take it. You cannot be on COBRA, that is what we were told. My DH's insurance is way worse then my school insurance that is why we were going to stay on it and pay for COBRA for the month (my contract ended in July we were going to pay for August and September) unfortunately law states that we had to go on his.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Losing health insurance is considered a qualifying event, so you would be able to enroll in your DH's health insurance as soon as you lose coverage.

We applied to be on DH's insurance in July for a start of August 1.

• Options
    imagepinkmoonlight:

I just went through this actually. My DH and I were on my insurance, I decided that I was not going to return to work. We stayed on my insurance until my contract (I was a teacher) ended and my insurance was done. We were going to do COBRA until I delivered in early August, however I found out that because we were eligable to take DH's insurance that we had to take his insurance.

In other words if you are able to be on your DH's insurance you have to take it. You cannot be on COBRA, that is what we were told. My DH's insurance is way worse then my school insurance that is why we were going to stay on it and pay for COBRA for the month (my contract ended in July we were going to pay for August and September) unfortunately law states that we had to go on his.

Hmmm I wonder what happens if I don't officially quit/resign until after delivery? But then if I was collecting maternity leave pay, would I have to pay that back when I officially quit? I wish I could ask questions of HR, but I don't want word leaking out about our TTC plans...it's a fairly small company. I don't plan to tell anyone IRL at all about TTC, and if/when I get pregnant, no one will know until 2nd tri if I can help it (call me supersitious). 

The Fluffy Cat says... "Boxes are the best toys ever invented!"
  • Options

keep working- keep your insurance.

when baby is born- have DH had the two of you to his insurance. you have until 30 days after 'life changing event' to add/change coverage.

so the delivery will be covered under your insuance AND his- so any premiums you pay out of pocket can be re-billed through your DH's insurance (Even deductibles).

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

If you stay on your insurance, you will want to keep it until after the baby is born.  When that happens add the baby to DH's insurance then drop yours and jump on his.  If you drop yours while pregnant before the baby is born and opt out of COBRA then his insurance company could (and probably will) deny you coverage because your pregnancy would be considered a 'pre-existing condition'.

Woman, I said put down the camera!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"