Indiana Babies

Midwife bailed.

Okay, well not exactly. When my husband and I met with the two of them for the first time we really liked them. They would help us with our home water birth and that was their specialty. Now, however, just two days before my first actual appointment, I called to ask what to bring/expect/etc, and they tell me they have dissolved their partnership and have to choose which midwife to go with... I'm sorry, but doesn't this sound like a precursor to more issue down the line? Plus we didn't "interview" them individually, we kinda thought they came together... So we're not going with them anymore. And I'm a little irked.

DH also told me he'd be more comfortable with having a hospital birth, so I think that's what we're going to do, but I still want a waterbirth... So far Methodist seems best, but does anyone have other recommendations or thoughts about the Maternity Center at Methodist they could share?

Thanks for letting me vent, any help would be appreciated, since I'm back at square one. Sad

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Midwife bailed.

• I don't know anything about Methodist, but I know that Community South offer Midwives and Water births.
  • My son was born at Methodist with Dr. Soper. I chose her and Methodist because of their tubs/water birth/natural birth friendly atmosphere. With that said, I kept asking to use the tub and was told I had to be further progressed before they'd move to one of those rooms. It seemed really weird why I couldn't just go in there in the first place. I ended up needing pitocin after over 24 hours after my water broke and no contractions so once I was hooked up to that, there wasn't the option for me to get in a tub. That kind of annoyed me. 

However, I did really like Dr. Soper and thought she did a great job. She has a terrible bedside manner though, but I didn't really care. The nurses/staff at Methodist are awesome. Also they were extremely supportive of breastfeeding. I had LCs in my room whenever I needed/wanted them and they even send someone to your home a few weeks after birth to check on you. Rowan was never taken out of our room except for a hearing test/circumcision and we were invited to stay with him for both. They want you to bond with your baby and be with them at all times. (They will let you send them to the nursery if you want though). It's also the only hospital in Indy recognized as a baby-friendly hospital by the WHO and UNICEF.

I also think the Clarian midwives deliver there, too. I could be wrong though. 

• Loading the player...
  • I also delivered at Methodist, and will deliver #2 there as well. I didn't pursue a water birth (I had to be induced) but when we toured I was impressed with the water birthing rooms. Sure, overall the OB unit is not as swanky as Clarian North, etc. but I wasn't really concerned about having a flat screen tv or whatever. Our post-deliery experience was great and just what we wanted - in  other words, they left us alone unless we needed something, Jocelyn never left our sides except for the hearing screen, and the LCs were awesome. I delivered with my OB but Methodist also has a well-established midwifery program. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"