Health & Exercise
Options

Positive chlamydia result...WHY?!? HOW?!?

Help!

I was tested at the begining of my pregnancy for chlamydia (and others) and the tests came back negative.  My husband had also been tested within the year...also negative.  I was just tested again at 37 weeks and the test for chlamydia came back positive!  I have been married for 5 years and my husband and I have been completely faithful to each other!  Anybody else been through this?  He is going to be tested, but in the meantime our marriage is seriously damaged.  Could one of us had it all along, but tested negative in the past (false negative) or are there things that can cause a false postive?  I had just finished treatment for a yeast infection.  I asked to be retested, but the Dr. said the tests were accurate and I should just take the meds (which I did) and try to leave it in the past.  I think I can do this, but I'm not so sure about my husband.  Any suggestions, experiences, or advice would be appreciated!

Re: Positive chlamydia result...WHY?!? HOW?!?

• Options
    For your sanity, don't take or assign blame on the chlamydia.  My advice is to be as supportive and un-accusatory as possible.  Wait for his test to come back and sit down and figure it out as two people who love each other.
  • Options

Don't you hate those spontaneous chlamydia outbreaks?!

Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Your doctor advised you to take the meds and leave it in the past rather than dealing with the obvious most likely cause of the crotch rot?
  • Options
    You may have been faithful the last 5 years but clearly, someone hasn't. Chlamydia doesn't just show up and you can't get that one from a toilet seat.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure your husband has been unfaithful to you.
  • Options

This is totally suspect. You may be faithful, but I am not so sure your husband is.

Your doctor is an idiot for telling you just to ignore it and not dig into it more.

Chlamydia can be passed to your baby during childbirth - what if you had not found it before you gave birth, or went into early labor?

That is not something I could just "ignore" and move on happily taking my medications.

Sure, chlamydia can linger around for months or years, but you had a negative test earlier in the pregnancy so somehow, I doubt that is the issue here. 

• Options

A few things...

I have been married for 5 years and my husband and I have been completely faithful to each other!  Like the PP mentioned - you may have been faithful...

Could one of us had it all along, but tested negative in the past (false negative) or are there things that can cause a false postive? I would think that this is highly unlikely.

I think I can do this, but I'm not so sure about my husband.  While I commend you on trying to leave it in the past and work things out, I am not sure what your husband's problem is when this post makes it sounds like he is the one that cheated.  Maybe I am reading this wrong, but what does he have to be upset about?  Could it be guilt over his probable indiscretion? Possibly because he got caught screwing around?

I am sorry, but I find it really hard to believe that either one of you became infected without there being some sort of extramarital activity and if you have been faithful there isn't too much left to figure out.

ETA: I hope that this is MUD.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm thinking MUD too with only 5 posts. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Wait. Why was DH tested? I know it's something that can be standard at a GYN visit, but when/why would DH have been tested?
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • Options

imageHaven1:
    I'm thinking MUD too with only 5 posts. 

Or she's trying to remain anonymous.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I have this habit of playing devil's advocate, so here I go again...

I still say wait for his test results and in the meantime, it's innocent until proven guilty.  My husband and I had been together and sexually exclusive for 6 years when I tested positive for herpes.  My husband never had any symptoms and never tested positive for it himself.  I would have been crushed and felt betrayed if his first reaction to my news was to accuse me of cheating on him.  He was supportive and loving and we moved on.  When I went in for my initial pregnancy confirmation visit 2 years later, I came back negative.  Apparently, I was given the wrong results, or my culture was swapped with another culture in the lab.  But something went wrong and I was misdiagnosed (because herpes doesn't magically disappear).

The point of all this is that stranger things have happened, and though it's a slim shot, there's still a chance that your husband will test negative.  If you've assumed he's a cheater from the beginning of all this, it will damage him if he's been faithful to you.  

I really do hope it all works out well for you.

• Options
    Herpes is a viral infection that is known to have dormant periods.  Chlamydia, on the other hand, is a bacterial infection.  Bacterial infections can have asymptomatic periods, but not dormant periods. 
  • Options

imageReturnOfKuus:
    Herpes is a viral infection that is known to have dormant periods.  Chlamydia, on the other hand, is a bacterial infection.  Bacterial infections can have asymptomatic periods, but not dormant periods. 

You will still test positive for herpes even during dormant periods if you have it.... so this does not matter.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Dormant or inflamed, you come up positive if you've got it.  However, whether the infection is viral or bacterial is irrelevant to the point I was making. 

The point is, it's not certain yet.  And even a long shot can still be the truth.

I'm not saying that her husband isn't cheating, you can't absolutely prove his innocence right now any more than you can absolutely prove his guilt.  So why go about hoping for him to be a cheater?  It's not constructive.

If he is cheating or has cheated, she'll know soon enough.

• Options

imageStrawberryAlarmClock:
    Wait. Why was DH tested? I know it's something that can be standard at a GYN visit, but when/why would DH have been tested?

Because he's probably had unprotected sex with the OP (his wife). As she's infected, there is an excellent chance that he's infected too. So it makes sense that he would be tested after she tested positive. 

• Options
    If SHE was tested before, and hasn't slept with anyone but her husband since, then your story about the herp is irrelevant, too.  It's not as though she just suddenly felt a burning and got tested for the first time.
  • Options

imageReturnOfKuus:
    If SHE was tested before, and hasn't slept with anyone but her husband since, then your story about the herp is irrelevant, too.  It's not as though she just suddenly felt a burning and got tested for the first time.

Good night, you're missing the point.  

The fact that she has chlamydia is not proof-positive that her husband is cheating on her.  Preserve the trust in the marriage from the side she can control (her own) and wait.

She's right to not bite on him about this yet.  She can give him hell and then some later if it turns out he was cheating.

• Options
    How do you think she got chlamydia, then?
  • Options

imageReturnOfKuus:
    How do you think she got chlamydia, then?

There is a difference between "devil's advocate" and "delusional twit".  Archkrys might want to take a look into that.

Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
  • Options
    imagearchkrys:

imageReturnOfKuus:

Good night, you're missing the point.  

The fact that she has chlamydia is not proof-positive that her husband is cheating on her.  Preserve the trust in the marriage from the side she can control (her own) and wait.

She's right to not bite on him about this yet.  She can give him hell and then some later if it turns out he was cheating.

You're an idiot. If she's been faithful then clearly she got this from somewhere. That somewhere being her husband. He's clearly sticking his peen in someone else's vag unprotected and then doing the same with his wife. 

• Options

imageStrawberryAlarmClock:

Um, because his wife is positive for it and likely they have slept together so he has been exposed to it.

Otherwise he would just pass it back to her....

• Options
    Alternatively, the OP could be the cheater and is now trying to find out from the internet some way that she could have tested positive mistakenly. She is probably wanting to feed some lines to her husband. Then if her husband has it, it would be from her.
    Anniversary
    White Knot
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Gavin Alexander
    8/25/10
  • Options
    MUD - 5 posts and 38 weeks pregnant.  But this was a good one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have any experience but I did google it.  According to the CDC symptoms show up 1-3 weeks after you contract it.  
  • Options

If this post is real....

I think it's pretty effed up that her doctor is doling out marital advice (and bad marital advice at that).

I'd get a new dh and a new doctor. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just wanted to share our story also. The same thing happened to my husband and I yesterday. We've been married for almost 3 years and together for almost 6.  We went to the doctors and she blindsided us by telling us I had tested positive (at 38 weeks) for Clamydia. We just couldn't believe it. We both are extremely faithful and I would bet money that my husband would never cheat on me. I was of course certain that I had not cheated on him. We asked for a re-test and found out that it was a false positive. Never be afraid to insist on a second test. That was a horrible hellish 24 hours for us. Now we are thankfully able to laugh about it, but it was extremely difficult. The anxiety and stress that it caused me, made me leave work for the day. The relief I felt tonight was unbelievable. Of course there is always the possibility that it is not a false positive, but you will never know unless you ask for a second test (before you are treated). Good luck to all of you out there going through the same thing. Seems to be a higher rate of false positives among pregnant women for some reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"