December 2010 Moms
Options

Not sure what to do...

We went to our doctor appt this morning (38 weeks 2 days now) and he offered induction for as early as next week if we would like.  I don't know if I wanna induce.  What do you ladies know about the induction process?  The good the bad and the ugly are greatly appreciated...

Some people have asked me why he is offering it a week before the due date... Well, the baby is large and I am small, I have been having contractions for about a month and a half and have made it to 1cm with 80% effacement and 0 station but nothing past  that.  All the US have come back with great results on his development and the DR thinks he will be fine.  I have been VERY uncomfortable the past few weeks with him getting so large and not having anywhere to go and move about now.  There is nothing medically wrong with either of us... it is just really an offer from the DR now and I just don't know what to do.  DH is leaving the decision up to me since he is not the one carring him around and knows how uncomfortable I have been.  I really just need your advice or knowledge of the PROS and CONS of induction to help me make a better decision for me and my new LO.  Thanks ladies and labor dust to you all!

Re: Not sure what to do...

• Options

It all depends on what your birth plan is. 

I for one don't want to be induced unless the baby or I'm in danger.  My birth plan is to try and have a natural birth and let the baby decide when he wants to come out and play.  I get nervous when Dr.'s just start inducing for convinence purposes.   

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is about" photo theboys_zps97f6caa3.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageour1stbaby2010:

It all depends on what your birth plan is. 

I for one don't want to be induced unless the baby or I'm in danger.  My birth plan is to try and have a natural birth and let the baby decide when he wants to come out and play.  I get nervous when Dr.'s just start inducing for convinence purposes.   

I agree with this and have the same plan.  To me - I'll leave this one up to baby.  My dr. will not induce before 42 weeks unless there is something medically wrong with me or baby. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Pros:

You can at least attempt a vaginal birth

You get an exact date for LOs arrival

Cons:

Inductions are twice as likely to end up a C-section

Induced labor is typically more intense than a 'natural' labor 

The more interventions you have, the more you typically need. (If you're given pitocin you're more likely to ask for an epidural which slows your contractions which means you need more pitocin....etc) 

HTH! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelulu3061:

Pros:

You can at least attempt a vaginal birth

You get an exact date for LOs arrival

Cons:

Inductions are twice as likely to end up a C-section

Induced labor is typically more intense than a 'natural' labor 

The more interventions you have, the more you typically need. (If you're given pitocin you're more likely to ask for an epidural which slows your contractions which means you need more pitocin....etc) 

HTH! 

Yup, what this smarty pants said.

imageimageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm in the same boat...My Dr. asked today if I wanted to be induced next Thursday (3 days after my due date)  she won't let me go more than 41 weeks anyhow, so I'm not sure what to decide? 

I'm nervous about being induced, but if I'm not induced next Thurs. and baby still isn't ready to make his appearance, I'm going to be induced next Monday anyhow...will 4 days really make a difference?  I'm not sure!

Hopefully your LO, and mine, will just arrive on their own....SOON!!

• Options

I had an induction, but it was for high blood pressure. If you aren't needing one medically, then I would opt against it. I had a good experience (it was a long labor, but I still was able to deliver vaginally), but like PPs have said, it can easily end in a C-section. 

Good luck with your decisions!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"