Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Starting methergine today

I was supposed to have a D&C today...right now actually...but passed the baby last night (I shudder saying that, I don't know a better way to say it).  My Dr. said I could still have the D&C but she didn't think I needed it.  The other option was to take the methergine for two days.  I decided I would take the medicine on the condition that I could take a stronger pain medication, as I felt I could not handle the physical pain again that I had last night for two more days.  I have no idea what to expect and I am very nervous.  I have said this multiple times, but I just want it to be over.

Re: Starting methergine today

• Options

Is the Methergine supposed to help you pass any remaining tissue more quickly?  I'm just curious because I was given Methergine after my D&C last week and was told that it was to help reduce bleeding.

November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
    October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
    July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
    April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

• Options
    imagetrishiepoo:
    imageLindsey8301:

Is the Methergine supposed to help you pass any remaining tissue more quickly?  I'm just curious because I was given Methergine after my D&C last week and was told that it was to help reduce bleeding.

My OB told me that it was to help the uterus shrink back and contract anything that might be left.  The pamphlet that came with the script from the pharmacy sad that it was to reduce bleeding.  So far for me it seems to be doing both. 

That's fascinating to me that it can help people pass tissue and bleed less at the same time.  Smart little drug.  Thanks for the additional info!

August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My dr. said it should cause contracts to expel any leftovers.  For those of you who have taken it, how long after taking it did the cramps start?
  • Options

imageLauraDances815:
    My dr. said it should cause contracts to expel any leftovers.  For those of you who have taken it, how long after taking it did the cramps start?

I started taking it yesterday.  I had a d&c on Friday, and started to bleed heavilyyy, and pass large clots yesterday afternoon.  It slowed down the bleeding within and hour, and today I haven't bleed at all.  But, no cramps, just bloated. 

• Options
    I had mentioned in an early post how I started contracting and passing large clots after my D&C but I never realized that it might've been due to the Methergine.  I took Methergine on Monday and Tuesday.  My worst cramping was on Friday and Saturday, and Saturday was when I passed lots of clots.
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 

• Options

imageLindsey8301:
    I had mentioned in an early post how I started contracting and passing large clots after my D&C but I never realized that it might've been due to the Methergine.  I took Methergine on Monday and Tuesday.  My worst cramping was on Friday and Saturday, and Saturday was when I passed lots of clots.

what this the Friday and saturday before or after taking the medicine?  I am assuming after.  How many days did you take the Methergine for?  I have 6 pills for two days

• Options
    imageLauraDances815:

imageLindsey8301:

what this the Friday and saturday before or after taking the medicine?  I am assuming after.  How many days did you take the Methergine for?  I have 6 pills for two days

Sorry, I was a little confusing. :)  The cramping and bleeding was the Friday and Saturday after taking the medicine.  I was given 8 pills to take every 6 hours, so I took my last pill on Wednesday morning.

August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 

• Options
    I just wanted to say that I am glad that the Dr. was able to give you something to pass everything and that your body is doing what it is supposed to. I wasn't given any medication for that so I am not familiar with it, but I hope it works for you and you will have a speedy recovery. Take care!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"