Breastfeeding
Options

suddenly DD won't open her mouth wide

Things have been going really well...and this week, she won't give me that big, wide open mouth. She makes a little O shape and takes just a small amount of my nipple in, which is painful. I try delatching and relatching her but same thing happens. Thoughts?

Re: suddenly DD won't open her mouth wide

• Options
    i always used the lactation consultant at the hospital to my advantage. I was constantly calling them and they were more than happy to help. They will schedule appointments if you think you need it and some will even come to your house. Id suggest calling the maternity floor of your local hospital and ask to speak to the lactation consultant that is available. goodluck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

have you introduced a paci or a bottle? if so take them both away, she could be getting nipple confusion.

also try doing some finger exercises by putting your clean finger in her mouth with the nail side down and make sure her tongue is coming out and wrapping around your finger. then try to expel some breastmilk on to her lips so she gets a taste and see if they will get her to open wide. you can also rub your nipple on her upper lip and sometimes this gets them to open wide.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    no paci and she rarely, if ever, gets a bottle - only here and there when hubby is with her and I am away longer than expected (which maybe happens once a week, if that). I'm going to call the lac center but they often take 48 hours to respond.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"