Indiana Babies
Options

I know I'm a PW - update

Heard back from St V - his adenoids are too large/swollen and need to come out as well.

Also, GI needs to do an endoscopy - hoping to do it while he's already out for tubes & the adenoidectomy.

They said the Prilosec could be working to prevent burning/pain (or it might not be), but the sheer volume of milk coming up coudl be causing discomfort/infections.  So they want to check things out.  In his endoscopy over a year ago, she said he showed signs of minor Gastroenteritis (possibly an allergy) and wants to see if that has changed. The endoscopy should be telling.

Can't do a ph probe right now b/c he'd have to stop all meds for a week. Indifferent obviously this isn't the time do be screwing with that. 

Re: I know I'm a PW - update

• Options

Ugh what a long day for you guys.  Hopefully you will have some answers and relief soon for all your sake. 

Thinking about you, Ryan and Andrew!!

Deleted
  • Options
    Hopefully this is the start of a turn around, you guys certainly are worthy of some down time from all the crud!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Goodness gracious! I hope everything you and Andrew are going through eventually points to a clear solution to his issues. Poor baby and poor mama!
  • Options
    I hope all gets resolved soon and Andrew gets to feeling better!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #2 11/4/12 EDD 7/20/12 missed M/C 12/13/12 @8w5d D&C 12/21/12
    DX 2/7/13 with an alloimmunity + for anti-paternal antibodies started Lovenox daily & BA
    BFP 2/16/13 EDD 10/28/13

• Options

Interesting...at least the endoscopy will be done at the same time and you wont have to make him go through another procedure. 

Before tubes, when Nick started acting up, I'd make a pedi appointment hoping that he had an ear infection.  Not because I wanted him to be in pain, obviously, but because then there would be a reason for the lack of sleep and fussiness and we could do something about it.  So, in a way, I would be glad that the adenoids are too large...that means that when they are out, there is a chance that it could really help him. 

• Options

Are the adenoids causing the ear infections?  I don't even know what they are, will have to google.

• Options
    imagemanda429:

Are the adenoids causing the ear infections?  I don't even know what they are, will have to google.

I can't explain it very well - but my understanding is that adenoids trap infection and can cause difficulty swallowing.  So I dont' know that it causes ear infections per say. 

I think if I explain it right (someone else could probably explain it better) they are sure that his reflux is getting into his sinus cavities, his adenoids are inflamed/enlarged/irritated because of his reflux, therefore now allowing his sinus cavities to drain properly, and causing infection.  Maybe that in turn causes the ear infection because the fluid and infection is just building and has nowhere to go, and the reflux continuallly irritates it. 

So they think that tubes + adenoid removal will help both sinus & ear infections.

They did say he will probably continue to get infections if his reflux is so bad, but, they will be easier to treat because 1) we can administer abx directly to his ears and 2) his sinuses & ears will both be vented. 

That is the best I can explain it!  I dont' even know if that's all completely accurate, but is how I understand it.

I've talked to some preemie moms (not that this is only a preemie issue, but it is common among that crowd) who had the same issues (reflux + sinus & ear infections) and they said it was like night & day once they got tubes & adenoids removed. 

The endoscopy will verify his reflux is controlled and no allergies and no immune system deficiencies.  If all is normal, and it's just volume of milk causing problems, I'm not sure what they can do.  She also said that if the reflux is controlled (no acid problems) he might not need all the meds he's on (if the root problem is the adenoids not draining) although I'm skeptical that he doesn't need them.

• Options
    imageIndyWife06:

Interesting...at least the endoscopy will be done at the same time and you wont have to make him go through another procedure. 

Before tubes, when Nick started acting up, I'd make a pedi appointment hoping that he had an ear infection.  Not because I wanted him to be in pain, obviously, but because then there would be a reason for the lack of sleep and fussiness and we could do something about it.  So, in a way, I would be glad that the adenoids are too large...that means that when they are out, there is a chance that it could really help him. 

I agree, I'll admit, I'm no doctor I just had a gut feel that he'll be better off without them after talking to a lot of people who'd kids and theirs removed & had the same stories as us.  I'm glad they are doing it while they are in there.  I dont' want unnecessary surgery, but if it's out, by all means take 'em out!!!!!

I told them make sure they do anything and everything they can think of while he's out ;) 

• Options
    Oh wow! I have been thinking about you guys!
  • Options
    Hoping that this will be the answer you've been needing and that the surgery can still happen sooner!  ((HUGS))
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"