High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

How to manage the stress of it all...??

I'm not sure if this is a venting session or what. What I DO know is that I need some tips, advice, encouragement, ANYTHING to help get through this high risk pregnancy.

A bit about me - I'm 34 and have had Type 1 diabetes since 1995. I enjoy exercising and began running 1/2 marathons about 2 years ago (nooo, I'm not a super athlete, I simply needed something to keep me motivated to stay healthy.) The diabetes was well controlled prior to pregnancy.

I THOUGHT I knew things would be tough when I got pregnancy. Now that I'm 18 weeks pregnancy, I realize that I had NO IDEA WHAT I WAS GETTING INTO!!! HOLY MOLY!!

My first pregnancy symptom was a horrible lower backache that lasted 2 weeks. they say exercise is great for pregnancy. Ironically, a 15 minute stroll around the block makes me want to throw up. The low blood sugars don't help either. I'm in my second trimester and still nauseous! The backache returned the other day. My butt started hurting while sitting, too. I quickly learned that something is going on with my tailbone AND I have sciatica. Energy is low and moodiness is increasing. Add bi-weekly doctor visits, weekly blood sugar logs and faxes, blood tests, the flu, fears that the baby won't be healthy, full-time job, hosting family for the holidays (what was I thinking) and...I simply do not know how you all manage the stress of it all!

Please...if you have some tips...some pointers..anything that will keep me same and my husband smiling...please share.

Re: How to manage the stress of it all...??

• Options

I definitely feel your pain, when I first found out I was pregnant I had nothing but problems, the same lower back pain, and we even had a mc scare.  Thank god my baby is ok.  Now I am on modified bed rest, and just feeling really depressed, and helpless.  The one thing that I think keeps me sane and my fiance smiling is knowing there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  As sucky as this is I just think of how wonderful it is going to be to hold our little miracle

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    kellyc07 - Thank you so much for your reply. You have no idea how much it means. (tear slowing rolling down my face...)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I can totally relate to being stressed out!!   :-(  I work full-time, have an hour commute each way to work, my DS is 2 and keeps me running around like crazy, I'm involved in a lot of community activities, we're trying to buy a house, and the holidays are coming up.....yikes!!  I think it's totally normal to feel overwhelmed and stressed during pregnancy - I feel stressed even when I'm not pregnant! 

I'm usually the type of person who  says "yes" to doing everything and I've definitely had to learn to focus on myself and become more protective about health.  I say "no" more often to taking on extra projects. I'm high risk this time due to pre-e with DS and my anxiety has been through the roof with this pregnancy.  Some coping mechanisms I've used are: deep breathing, stretching twice a day at my desk (does wonders for hip and lower back pain), walking/light exercise when I can, chiropractor once a month, pregnancy massage every once and awhile, lying down with a heating pad and relaxing for at least 10-15 minutes a night, taking naps whenever I can, writing down my feelings in a journal, and allowing myself to feel crappy and have a good cry every so often.  Also, I've ditched the guilt this pregnancy.  My first pregnancy I felt so guilty about feeling a certain way or eating a certain thing, etc.  Now, I just try and go with the flow and learn to listen to my body and what it's telling me.   

I'm sorry you've been feeling so badly.  It's so worth it in the end once you have your beautiful baby, but the journey isn't necessarily the most fun getting there.  Worth it, but challenging to say the least. Good luck to you!  :-) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"