Working Moms
Options

First day back on Wednesday...advice?

I have been fortunate enough to be with my little guy for the first 3 months of his life. I go back to a 10-hour day starting on Wednesday and am already dreading it. Any advice from those who have gone through it? TIA!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: First day back on Wednesday...advice?

• Options

Get everything together Tuesday night, leave earlier then you were planning, give yourself time at the daycare with him before you go.  Put a box of tissues in the car and skip the mascara.

photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

It'll be a tough day and the next few days will be tough.  Give yourself permission to be sad and miss your LO, but remember your LO will never know anything different and as long as he's well taken care of, you really have nothing to be that upset about. 

Practically - bring somethng to daycare that smells like you (a T-shirt/night shirt, receiving blanket, pillowcase, etc.) that the daycare teacher can drape over her shoulder/chest will holding your LO.

Hugs - it will get easier!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Keep a few great pictures within easy reach, for the first couple days back at work I spent hours just staring at my baby pictures on my desk!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Of course get everything ready the night before.  Emotionally speaking, I brought framed pics of DD, but I didn't put them out.  When I looked at the pictures, I got weepy.  What worked for me was just powering through and pretending I was the "old me", know what I mean?  I just tried not to think about her too much and stayed busy.  Do be prepared for everyone to ask about DS though.  Keep your response short and upbeat, if you think you're going to be upset easily.  Focus on the positive, like eating your lunch while it's hot and peeing alone! :)
  • Options

imageThe_Jen626:
    Keep a few great pictures within easy reach, for the first couple days back at work I spent hours just staring at my baby pictures on my desk!

I couldn't have pictures of him at my desk for months.  Literally, 6 months before I could handle seeing him while I was at work. 

photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageweelass24:

imageThe_Jen626:

I couldn't have pictures of him at my desk for months.  Literally, 6 months before I could handle seeing him while I was at work. 

Oh sad, I'm sorry!  It really helped me to be able to see her.  We are all so different, huh.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for all your advice. I had planned on no mascara because I get make up all over the place when I cry. Thankfully we love our sitter and he already likes her. We (DH and I) only work about 3 blocks from her house so we can go visit during our lunch (which I won't do since I will want to go home with DS). We will see how it goes!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imageweelass24:

Get everything together Tuesday night, leave earlier then you were planning, give yourself time at the daycare with him before you go.  Put a box of tissues in the car and skip the mascara.

This, plus put pictures of him in your workspace. The first couple days are hard, but once you get into a routine, it will be a bit easier to manage, both physically and emotionally. I tried to keep myself as busy as possible, and once the midpoint of my day hit, I allowed myself to start counting down the time until I could go pick him up. Good luck on your first day.

• Options
    This is my 4th week back, but I'm only doing part time until EOY.  I'm thinking of making a list of reasons I want to/have to work, and why it is the best decision for our family...then looking at it when I get emotional.  Not sure if this will work, but honestly, I'm still struggling.  Maybe having a set routine would've helped me more, though, so it sounds like you are going back to your old routine.

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"