Preemies

kangaroo fail :(

so last night i was at the hospital and we took DD out for some kangaroo time and she was miserable.  She instantly started de-satting - lower than she had been in days - and really just seemed unhappy.  it was so discouraging.  i get to hold her for maybe half an hour a day and we couldn't even do that.  the nurse put her back after about 15 minutes and her sats jumped back up right when the nurse took her, even before she was put back in the isolette.  she was great with the kangaroo time in the beginning but the last few times have gotten a little worse, and last night was definitely the worst ever. 

sorry for the vent but it was so upsetting.  anyone else have this happen? 

Our little peanut was born at 23w4d Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: kangaroo fail :(

• This sort of happened sometimes when I held DS kangaroo too.  The nurses told me that the process of coming out of the isolette and being moved around could be stressful on him.  They said that an hour is a good amount of time for kangaroo because it gives them a chance to calm down from the stress of being moved and get snuggled in for long enough to get benefits from it. I am sure all situations are different though. Hang in there, it will get better and don't take it personally.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • *hugs* I'm sorry :(  Did the nurses try to put her in dif positions?? When my DD would do that they would just try dif positions before putting her back to see if it made a difference. Maybe you could ask them to try that next time. Keep trying and stay positive and calm when doing it...kangaroo care is amazing for mother and baby. 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest blog: www.thesmoreslife.blogspot.com
  • Loading the player...
  • Ugh.  I'm so sorry.  My kiddo went through about a week long period where this happened.  He would be totally fine in his isolette and then when we kangarooed with him he would desat and they would have to keep upping his o2 support.  When they would put him back in bed he would immediately be fine again.  We finally realized it was more of a positional thing... his airway had to be in just the right position or he didn't get enough oxygen.  It was such a pain.  Aside from desatting, does she look like she's enjoying it?  Even though my kid would desat, he always looked very relaxed and comfortable despite that.  Hang in there.  I know it sucks.  But I promise it will get better (this was so hard to believe, but it does).
    TTC with unexplained IF since 8/2007 6 losses, one beautiful perfect boy in our arms Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • That happened to us too. I agree with not taking it personally (although MUCH easier said than done!) Preemies are just extremely sensitive and it takes so much out of them to be taken out of the isolette and moved around. **HUGS** to you and hope you can kangaroo much longer soon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sometimes I was afraid to hold DD for fear of damaging her. She desated badly many times, more when I was holding her it seemed. The nurses reassured me that she did the same thing whether or not I was there, I just didn't see it. Sometimes, it's just the position they're in. I am sorry you are going through this. It will get better. As your DD gets older, she'll become more stable. And yes, I've had times that nurses told me to put her back because her sats or her temp were too low.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"