Georgia Babies
Options

bf question

Hi Ladies...I need a little help...

I only bf jax for about 9 weeks, so I never made it this far with him to know.

Is it time for a growth spurt?  And when that happens does the baby seem to want to eat like every hour??   And if so, how long does it take for my body to figure it out and send him more milk??

Re: bf question

• Options

first off, great job on recognizing what could be going on and why it is happening! A lot of moms panic, but you know your body will give C what he needs, so yay for mama-power!

There are no "set" times for a growth spurt. However, many people see cluster feeding (what you are experiencing) around 2 weeks, 6 weeks, and 12 weeks. C is not too much past that, although he is also at the end of his "4th trimester", and he may be cluster feeding because he is not wanting to miss what is going on around him and doesn't want to stop long enough to have a good solid nursing session.

Obviously this is just speculation since I haven't seen you have a nursing session. If this IS a growth spurt, then it should only take a few days before your body can keep up with him. Are you back to nursing on both sides at each feeding? How long does each session last? Does he seem distracted? Is he spending most of his time doing good suck-swallows?

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Options

I am still just doing one side at a time, but am switching sides each time instead of feeding on the same side for 2-3 feedings...I have tried both sides since he started all this extra feeding, but I didn't notice that it helped him.  Here are some things i am noticing:

- I feel like he is getting a lot at first and then if he keeps feeding then i might get a little extra let down.  But the whole feeding still usually is 10 minutes or less.  

- I sometimes feel like my supply is going away b/c of this, but i'm hoping not.  

- my let down seems to be taking longer.. why???

- i think he had some tummy issues last week too b/c he wasn't pooping like normal.  one day he didn't go at all.  That might be better now b/c he seems to be going normally again. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    also...i feel like one side has more to offer than the other side..
  • Options
    imageDaisygirl613:

I am still just doing one side at a time, but am switching sides each time instead of feeding on the same side for 2-3 feedings...I have tried both sides since he started all this extra feeding, but I didn't notice that it helped him.  Here are some things i am noticing:

- I feel like he is getting a lot at first and then if he keeps feeding then i might get a little extra let down.  But the whole feeding still usually is 10 minutes or less.  

- I sometimes feel like my supply is going away b/c of this, but i'm hoping not.  

- i think he had some tummy issues last week too b/c he wasn't pooping like normal.  one day he didn't go at all.  That might be better now b/c he seems to be going normally again. 

I would definitely stop the block feeding, which is what you are doing. If you go back to nursing both sides for a few days, that will increase the supply faster than just one side at a time. It's a supply and demand thing....gotta prove there is a demand. 

If he had tummy trouble last week and wasn't eating as much, then he may make up for it this week and/or be bringing your supply back up from last week. 

"- I feel like he is getting a lot at first and then if he keeps feeding then i might get a little extra let down.  But the whole feeding still usually is 10 minutes or less. " NORMAL - he's efficient. 

Many women can have more than one let down. Another thing to try is to do side 1, side 2, then back to side 1 for another let down.

"- I sometimes feel like my supply is going away b/c of this, but i'm hoping not.  " It's not. But it is totally NORMAL to feel this way, especially after your experience with Jax.

"- my let down seems to be taking longer.. why???" Don't know. But massaging the breast before and during will move the milk down faster if this is a concern to you.

One more thing I just thought of....could you possibly be getting your period back? I got mine back (while EBF) @ 4m2w with Eli and my supply was very susceptible to the hormones and would decrease by about 1/3 for a week or so before it showed up. It was REALLY SCARY, but once I figured out what it was I could compensate. Just something to think about.

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Options
    imageJoelsGirl07:
    imageDaisygirl613:

One more thing I just thought of....could you possibly be getting your period back? I got mine back (while EBF) @ 4m2w with Eli and my supply was very susceptible to the hormones and would decrease by about 1/3 for a week or so before it showed up. It was REALLY SCARY, but once I figured out what it was I could compensate. Just something to think about.

Yeah, I am about to get my 2nd period.  :(  I thought I would get a longer break this time since I'm bf'ing longer, but i'm not.  So, what do you mean you could compensate?  how'd you do that?  

• Options
    Aside from almost constant nursing, I had a little bit of stash in the freezer to offer. However, don't replace the constant nursing with bottles b/c your body still needs the stimulation. Just offer it when you feel like he still might need it. Learning to nurse in a carrier (I did my best in my mei tai, but I've also done it in a Moby and sling) will help with having your hands free for J.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"