Preemies

How old was LO before you stopped checking for breathing while sleeping? :)

DS is 6 mo (3 corrected) and everytime he sleeps a little longer than I expect him to, I check for breathing. Stick out tongue  I know this is silly, and I'm not seriously expecting any problems, but it's just for reassurance.  I don't remember how long I did this with my older ones, or if it is just because this LO was so early... 
Mom to 4 boys under age 6 Evan, Darren, Liam & Isaac

Re: How old was LO before you stopped checking for breathing while sleeping? :)

• I'd like to know this too.  I have a habit of going in his room every time I walk by.  I'm that bad... Embarrassed
    image. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My son is 2.5. I still do it. I think that's just a normal mom thing... heightened by our experience.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry- no end in sight here. I check on her every night before bed (hand on her back to feel her breathing) and in the morning if she sleeps in late. I've also been known to check on her in the middle of the night at least twice a week. I don't think that it's a bad thing- just part of the mom experience.
    Our Little Family Keeps Growing! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS will be 2 on friday and i still check before bed and if he sleeps longer than he usually does. Smile
  • Every night.  DD is nearly 7 months (5adj.) and has developed a habit of covering her head with her blanket.  Tongue Tied Not tight, but just the idea makes me worry.
  • I'm constantly checking, whether she's sleeping on me or in the bedroom 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest blog: www.thesmoreslife.blogspot.com
  • I wake up in the middle of the night to check on him at least twice he STTN so I just a little worried hes sleeps in his PNP right next to my bed sometimes I dont see him breathing cause the light on my phone isnt that bright so I give him a lil poke and he moves and I feel much better.....I will probably do this forever...LO has a heart condition so I feel extra worried at night.
    imageimageimage

• I still do.  Maybe I'll stop by the time DD is a teenager...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ha! We've talked our pediatrician into letting us keep DDs apnea monitor that she came on for a while longer....we only hook her up to it at night when she sleeps, but I love to watch those little lights blink!
  • imagebecketts:
    I still do.  Maybe I'll stop by the time DD is a teenager...

LOL, this! Corri will be 9 months old on Sunday, and I still jolt awake several times a night to check the video monitor, make sure she's breathing during naps, and both DH and I pop into her room if we walk by to check yet again. The NICU scared the heck out of us with regard to SIDS, so until at least her first birthday, I will be obsessively checking.

• imageTriciaJoy:
    My son is 2.5. I still do it. I think that's just a normal mom thing... heightened by our experience.

This exactly.  My daughter will be three in Feb, and I still check her breathing when I go in to kiss her goodnight on my way to bed. 

• 15 months and still checking. And still using the Angel Care monitor too. 
  • Our son is 2 yrs old, and born 12 weeks early too. We used the Angel Care monitor since the first day in his crib (he slept in a bassinet in our room the first 2 months, and I barely got any sleep, waking at every sound...and then waking at too long with NO sounds!)

The Angel Care monitor only went off twice by accident in the 15-18 months we used it.  Both times, he had rolled into the far corner, and sleeping on his side.   So I knew that the monitor really worked.   It gave me SO much peace of mind.  I highly recommend it.  I have to say that it let me take my mind of of thinking of his breathing, and I no longer worried about it.

I totally understand where you're coming from. A mother never forgets being in the NICU and hearing loud beeps b/c their child's heart rate or breathing had stopped.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"