Hawaii Babies
Options

Help me decide when to tell the family?

Hi! 

Just got home from Turkey day with the family. Hubby & I agreed not to tell since his brother and girlfriend are expecting any day, we wanted to enjoy this special time and I am only 9 weeks along. We most likely won't go home for Christmas, so I am debating about telling our families on Christmas which is when I hit 12 weeks or New Year's Day as it would be our new thing for 2011. Any thoughts? How did you tell your families if they don't live close to them? Webcam idea is out, as our families are not techy.

Any ideas and thoughts are welcomed. 

Re: Help me decide when to tell the family?

• Options

Will you see them for either Christmas or New Years? If you'll see them then I would wait until then. If not, I would tell them on Christmas. I'm bad at keeping secrets like that, just because I get so excited!

My family also lives out of town but there was no way I could wait to tell them. We just called and told them when we felt ready, nothing fancy or exciting :) I wanted to do something exciting to share the gender but I was so excited I couldn't hold back and just blurted it out. 

• Options

We used Skype to tell my IL's when we were around 12 or 13 weeks along. It was priceless to see my MIL's reaction, it was the next best thing to telling them in person :)

ETA: Oh no, you said they aren't techy, sorry!  I would agree with Vanessa.  We sent a card from the "3" of us and signed it baby H and asked MIL and FIL to open it up while we were on skype but you could totally do that over the phone and have the same surprise reaction.  Have fun!  

I love Hawaii!

Tara & Ian . 4/24/2008 . The Kahala Planning . Married

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

First, CONGRATS!!

I actually emailed my parents to tell them (they didn't live in the area at the time) and MH called his parents (his mom doesn't use the internet) even though they lived only 30min away, so I think calling them would be just fine if they don't use email/Skype/webcam/etc.

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • Options

Congratulations!

I'm a bit different about this...I would tell immediate family and perhaps one or two very close friends right away, and then wait to tell everyone else until you've hit 2nd tri.

With my first pregnancy, I was going to wait to tell everyone - including parents - until 12/13 weeks. I miscarried before then, and there is nothing worse than having to tell your parents that you were pregnant but aren't any more. So with the next pregnancy, we told a few select people right away (I told all of my family via email) - people that we knew we'd want supporting us if something went wrong again. I know it's not a nice thing to think about, but it's something to consider.

• Options

are you going to send a card or gift?   If so, I would sign the card from you, DH & Baby (lastname).

We told our family by showing them the ultrasound.  I was giving my mom some pictures she wanted & the u/s was mixed in with them.  All of the other parents we just said "hey we need to show you something" and it was the ultrasound!  

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"