Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

nursery curtains

Our (tiny) nursery has a triple-length window but it is a short window and is only about 2.5 feet high. I found an awesome deal on curtains today- they are a white sheer with blue trim- they were normally $40 a piece, marked down to $16 a piece- and we got a $10 off coupon, so we got $160 worth for $60.

My question is- are full-length sheers going to look silly on short windows? The walls are chocolate brown so you'll definately be able to see the wall behind them when they are closed. But when they are open I thought they would make the room seem bigger (lengthening it) and would brighten it up. We have full-length solid curtains on the similar windows in our master bedroom, but not shears. 

Not the best decorator so any advice will be great :)

Re: nursery curtains

• Options
    I think full length curtains are fine but it will look better if they are solid. You will probably want blackout curtains in the nursery for naptime. We have a double curtain rod in our guest room with a solid panel on the outside and a shear panel on the inside.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have white curtains with blue ribbon border and they look great in the nursery. I had to have them made to match his bedding. I have white wide wood slat blinds behind them. They will look fine with short windows and you are right they will make the room and window bigger. 

I did not do black out curtains, a few friends said I would need them but we didn't hang a double rod and I have not added one. DS is in his bright shinny room right now napping for the last 2 hours.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The windows in the nursery are north facing so they don't get a lot of sun (the south side or front of the house seems to get it all). With the chocolate coloured walls, we're not worried about it being too bright for baby sleeping- plus we don't want him or her to adjust to sleeping only in pitch darkness. Thanks for the opinions- can't wait to really get started on the nursery! :)
  • Options

I was a decorator who specialized in window treatments till a couple months ago. Being a SAHM now.

I thought I would put my two cents in. :) I think that full length curtains always look better than short curtains as you are right it lengths the window and makes the ceilings look taller. That said, I wouldn't do just sheers, the problem being that you will be able to see the dark wall through them wherever it hits the wall. If you love the sheers to much to not use them, I would add a simple white solid curtain to either end to anchor the window, especially since it is triple width. This could be done very inexpensively and you could even hang them on the same rod if you don't want to close them. It will just finish of the look and make it look complete as opposed to just having sheers. 

The only place I ever recommend having just sheers is a sunroom area or screened in porch. In any other room, just having sheers can look to informal and unfinished. 

Hope this helps. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think it will look bad necessarily, I am just personally not a fan of only sheers. I always do curtain panels and sheers. I don't do double rods- just the plain little thin sheer rods and then a regular curtain rod that always sticks out further.
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Options
    imagewoollypetals:

I was a decorator who specialized in window treatments till a couple months ago. Being a SAHM now.

I thought I would put my two cents in. :) I think that full length curtains always look better than short curtains as you are right it lengths the window and makes the ceilings look taller. That said, I wouldn't do just sheers, the problem being that you will be able to see the dark wall through them wherever it hits the wall. If you love the sheers to much to not use them, I would add a simple white solid curtain to either end to anchor the window, especially since it is triple width. This could be done very inexpensively and you could even hang them on the same rod if you don't want to close them. It will just finish of the look and make it look complete as opposed to just having sheers. 

The only place I ever recommend having just sheers is a sunroom area or screened in porch. In any other room, just having sheers can look to informal and unfinished. 

Hope this helps. 

I didn't see that they were sheers. I agree with this post. I would not just use a sheer. I bought inexpensive white pole pocket drapes at Pottery Barn (used to work there so I am partial) and had a seamstress add a border all the way around the drapes using light blue grosgrain ribbon. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"