Minnesota Babies

Help with Vaccine discussions

Hi All-

The 6 month check-up with my LO is Monday. At each visit I have been talked into more vaccines than I planned on giving him.

My question is for those who have altered the traditional vaccine schedule: How did you convince your Ped/ what evidence did you cite? Which vaccines did you choose and why?

What specific peds/groups did you find more accepting and which were not.

I've woken up several nights in a row worried about these shots and want to go in better prepared than last time.

TIA!

Re: Help with Vaccine discussions

• you shouldn't have to cite evidence on why you don't want your child to have a certain vaccine at that time. if your pedi pushes you otherwise, I think it's time to find a different pedi
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

In my bag
    d90
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
  • imageBMenz:
    you shouldn't have to cite evidence on why you don't want your child to have a certain vaccine at that time. if your pedi pushes you otherwise, I think it's time to find a different pedi

This is what I would also say. What area of the cities to you live in? There are a lot of great pedis who don't push vaccination on kids  

• Loading the player...
  • imageBMenz:
    you shouldn't have to cite evidence on why you don't want your child to have a certain vaccine at that time. if your pedi pushes you otherwise, I think it's time to find a different pedi

This!!! 

Have your read Dr Sears Vaccine book?  If not, I highly recommend getting a copy. 

• I didn't really care one way or the other but my Pedi would make recommendations on what we should do and what we could hold off on...For example, last winter DS was 6mo old and she wanted him to have the H1N1 vaccine and flu shot so we did that and held off on one other vaccine until his 9month appointment.  I really wanted to do more research but truthfully I would rather have my kid vaccinated then not vaccinated, I am just glad my pedi was willing to offer and talk further about them.
  • I am so sorry to hear that your Ped is pressuring you to give your LO shots you don't feel comfortable with!

We go to Pediatric & Young Adult Medicine and have seen Dr. Coyne for all of B's appointments thus far.

We've followed our own alternative vaccination schedule and also chosen to not to give our little man some of the "recommended" vaccinations (Rotavirus for one.).

I was a nervous wreck before his 2 month shots thinking that I would be talked into doing vaccines that I didn't feel comfortable with so called ahead to talk to Dr. Coyne about it. He assured me that there was no problem with me determining which vaccinations to give B and when. His only advice was that we need to wait a month in between vaccination appointments.

• We've followed our own alternative vaccination schedule and also chosen to not to give our little man some of the "recommended" vaccinations (Rotavirus for one.).

Would you mind sharing why you opted out of the rotavirus vax?

• imageHannaB:

We've followed our own alternative vaccination schedule and also chosento not to give our little man some of the "recommended" vaccinations(Rotavirus for one.).

Would you mind sharing why you opted out of the rotavirus vax?

A lot of people opt out of it because it's not really a necessary vax here. We have access to good medical care, that if it's really bad, we can get our kids the fluids and things they need if they're dehydrated. It's a bigger deal in other parts of the world, where access to healthcare is harder to come by.

We skipped it because our pedi's office made a mistake and didn't give it to her. She ended up getting it last year, and while it sucked, it wasn't really any worse than the stomach flu and diarrhea. We will most likely skip it in the future as well.

Not to mention, we were told last year that the vaccine was only about 55% effective that year. Almost half the kids they saw with roto had had the vaccine.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The FDA issued a warning in March 2010 regarding the use of one of the two approved Rotavirus vaccines, Rotarix due to some concerns regarding contamination from a pig virus. Apparently said virus was thought to be harmless, but that warning combined with the fact that a previous Rotavirus vaccine was recalled in 1999 made us decide to opt out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"