Natural Birth

40 plus weeks with Twins

I am 39 weeks and 4 days with twins.  All of my tests are coming out normal although my doctor is adamant that I do not go past 40 weeks.  She keeps stating the risks do not out weigh the benefits but I am really not seeing what the risks are.  Hopefully you ladies can help.   

Currently I am 50% effaced and have been dilated at a 2 since Tuesday. This is my first pregnancy and my baby A is head down.

Sorry if you are receiving this as a cross post as I am putting it on the multiples board as well.      

Re: 40 plus weeks with Twins

• I dont understand why people are so scared to go past 40 with twins! Especially since your tests are coming back great! Your dates could be off a week and you could really be 39 instead of 40. Id refuse an induction as long as all my tests were looking great!

Awesome on baking twins that long mama! You rock!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I talked to my midwife about this and she said that placentas deteriorate more quickly with twins, and there are increased risks relating to low fluid, high BP with the Mom, etc that are a result of having two placentas

Are there any "natural" induction methods you could explore?  Pessary? Evening Primrose Oil?  Stripping Membranes?  Blue and Black Cohash? Castor Oil (ick, but I'd try it in a pinch)

I'd be reluctant to let them induce me even at 41w with a singleton, but as I've learned the last few months, twins changes everything.  I'm not sure how far past 39w I'd want to go...

Now if I GET that far with twins, I may start to think differently..

• Loading the player...
  • If BPP are normal and NSTs are reactive, indicating good health of both babies, and growth scans don't show premature placental aging AND your BP/urinalysis is good - I say good for you and go for it.
    Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageGenRN45:
    If BPP are normal and NSTs are reactive, indicating good health of both babies, and growth scans don't show premature placental aging AND your BP/urinalysis is good - I say good for you and go for it.

This. If babies are healthy and you are healthy, why interfere? 

• I think it is awesome you are waiting for your body to go into labor on its own, but to answer your question I think the biggest risks they might be worried about (outside of something obvious) is meconium in the waters and calcium in the placenta.

I went 41 weeks and there were signs of both after DS was born. They were not super concerned but the meconium can be dangerous.

• imageflowerchild77:

I dont understand why people are so scared to go past 40 with twins!

Because twins are more likely to die after 40w; there are no benefits and there are increased risks of going past 40w with twins. Delivering at 37-39w is ideal for twins. I am pro natural birth, as low-intervention as possible, but I also think you really need to know and weigh the risks and benefits, and a twin pregnancy is not the same as a singleton pregnancy; much more high-risk.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • imageKindle:

I am 39 weeks and 4 days with twins.  All of my tests are coming out normal although my doctor is adamant that I do not go past 40 weeks.  She keeps stating the risks do not out weigh the benefits but I am really not seeing what the risks are. 

Can you get your Dr. to do a better job of explaining the risks so you can make an informed decision?  An acquaintance of mine delivered her healthy twins at home (planned homebirth) when she was 40w + 1 or 2 days, FWIW.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemacchiatto:
    imageflowerchild77:

I dont understand why people are so scared to go past 40 with twins!

Because twins are more likely to die after 40w; there are no benefits and there are increased risks of going past 40w with twins. Delivering at 37-39w is ideal for twins. I am pro natural birth, as low-intervention as possible, but I also think you really need to know and weigh the risks and benefits, and a twin pregnancy is not the same as a singleton pregnancy; much more high-risk.

This.   I felt the same way until I started reading the articles...as far as I was concerned the longer they were in the better.  I'm excited to attempt NCB with my twins, but after reading the articles I'm less apposed to an induction as I was originally.  Granted if we make it that far you'll have to pry me out of bed with the hubby and take away my wine glass of castor oil. 

I just decided that the babies living is more important than my ideals of how childbirth should go...its all for not if one or both is stillborn.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"