Maryland Babies
Options

Childbirth classes at GBMC?

Has anyone taken them at GBMC? Did you do the all day Saturday marathon class? I'm worried about it being a lot to process all in one day. Or the 4 week 2 hour class during the week? Any pros or cons you can think of to either one? TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BFP#1 missed mc on 7/14/10 at 10 weeks

Re: Childbirth classes at GBMC?

• Options
    My husband and I took the 4 week course.  The biggest reason was that it was considerably less expensive.  We also felt that we had more time to go home and think of questions and then see the nurse again.  It also gave us more time to practice the techniques that we learned every week.  Hope this helps!  Good luck!
  • Options

imageShawnifer09:
    My husband and I took the 4 week course.  The biggest reason was that it was considerably less expensive.  We also felt that we had more time to go home and think of questions and then see the nurse again.  It also gave us more time to practice the techniques that we learned every week.  Hope this helps!  Good luck!

This is was one of my main reasons for wanting to do the 4 week course, too. DH, though, kind of has the attitude that he just wants to get it done and over with. I told him I would ask around to get opinions before we make a decision, since we really do have some time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP#1 missed mc on 7/14/10 at 10 weeks
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did the 4 week class.  I understand your DH's desire to get it "done and over with" but it is A LOT of information, so it helped to break it into chunks. I think it would have been too much for me to absorb all in one day.  At the begining of each session we practiced what we had worked on the week before and I found the reinforcement helpful. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

We took the four-week class, though it was at St. Joe's. Another thing to consider is your comfort level. The all-day Saturday classes are an awfully long time for a pregnant woman to sit in not-so-comfy chairs. I had a lot of back and hip pain when 7 months pg with DD1, and was sooo glad we went with the shorter classes. My back and hips were killing me from sitting in the stiff chairs, and our class wasn't quite two hours long. Cost was a big factor too.

And while your DH wants to get it over with (mine did too) he was actually more interested in it than he thought he'd be, so it wasn't torture to go for four weeks. My DH's input is that going for one long day would have been more miserable, because two hours is long enough to hear about pregnancy/birth and he would have totally lost interest and wanted to leve midway through if we had to sit there for much moret han two hours at a time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"