Parenting after 35
Options

NBR: Garmin, TomTom, other ?

Who has one of these nativation thingies and which one?  What features should I be looking for when buying one?

TIA!  :o)

image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NBR: Garmin, TomTom, other ?

• Options

We have an older Garmin and love it, but the newer models have MUCH cooler features.

I'd look for a GPS that has traffic updates sent directly to the unit. If there is a traffic jam, it will divert you around it. Pretty cool stuff. You also want to make sure that it speaks the streets, like "In 400 feet, turn left onto Smith Street".  Our model speaks, but it just says "turn left or turn right" not the name of the street.

I guess the only other thing I can think of is making sure you're able to update the maps. I'd guess all models and brands have that, but double check.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options
    We have a Magellan - I think it's a cheap older model as I got it free as a work anniversary gift. One thing I noticed in Tampa and the recent construction that it doesn't recognize some of the new roads/routes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I bought a Garmin Nuvi something-or-other a few years ago and we love it.  I'm sure newer models have cooler stuff.

Most of my techie friends prefer Garmin to TomTom or Magellan, FWIW.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have a TomTom and we like it about as much as you can like something that's free(it was a gift). It comes in handy when you're really lost.
  • Options
    I've had rental cars with both Garmin and Magellan.  I vastly preferred the Garmin so that's what I'm picking up.  I'm getting the one on sale with the lifetime maps so I don't have to worry about that.  With as much construction goes on around here, I figured it pays to have that.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

We were looking at a Garmin but then we got our phones (Droid) and the GPS function is amazing so that's all we use.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Peeper Summarized
  • Options
    We have an old Garmin that DH found for $50 in a pawn shop. It works great but we need to update the software. DH tried out a Tom Tom and he like it too, he said the female navigator voice was smoother, lol, whatever that means!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Options
    Like Peeper said we use our phones (iPhone).  The biggest drawback I see with phone vs. an actual GPS unit is that the pone doesn't have the voice giving you directions.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  Truly appreciate the help, I ended up getting a Garmin (on sale) with free map updates and turn by turn, with speaking voice, etc.  I too have an iphone, but DH does not and he's mentioned for a while that he wanted one of these navigation thingies.
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"