Special Needs
Options

Sleep Apnea Alarm...

My 3 month old has Laryngomalacia and thus has been placed on an apnea alarm for the past month.While she was in the hospital for 5 days before we came home she had no episodes. They told us it was just a precaution.  We have not had any episodes at all until last night. The apnea alarm beeped 3 times per second but when i checked her she was fine? The leads were in place and she was swaddled but it is possible something got moved around a bit. I was using the disposable sticky leads and they had been falling on and off all day. I'm not sure but im really worried. Anyone have experience with the monitors? As I said, shes had no episodes at all for over a month...so do you think this one was false?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sleep Apnea Alarm...

• Options

DD doesn't have an apnea monitor, but does have a pulse ox. With that, you can tell if the read isn't correct because the waves next to the reading aren't consistent ups and downs. Is there something like this on your apnea monitor? Also, I know that one of our friends who has a child with apnea is able to do something with their hand on the child's chest to feel if he's taking breaths. I'm sure you know much more about that than I do. 

I'd call the doctor to ask them about it. And ask them about maybe getting a quick refresher on the machine since she hadn't been having the episodes lately. Seems like something they'd be glad to do. I know the doctors and nurses who are going over all of DDs trach care with us, specifically give us their contact info and really want us to call. The other thing we've done in the past was to have our pediatrician order just a few hours of nursing care for review of some medical stuff that we didn't get shown for when DD came home. Maybe they'd be up for that?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have both an apnea monitor and a pulse ox and they both drive me crazy.  Our apnea monitor alarms all the time and as long as he is okay I don't think a thing of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"