North Dakota Babies
Options

Real Christmas trees...Who gets 'em?

I can only remember one year in my entire life when we had a real tree. Always fake/pre-lit.

DH wants to get a real tree this year. My only thing is that we ALWAYS put up our tree Thanksgiving weekend. All of the Christmas tree farms in our area open up this weekend...but if we get a tree this weekend, is it going to last for an entire month?

There will be NO live tree this year if I can't get it this weekend :)

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl

Re: Real Christmas trees...Who gets 'em?

• Options
    I've never had a fake tree. I LOVE real trees- wouldn't have it any other way. We always go get ours the day after Thanksgiving- you will be fine! We go cut ours down ourselves- a family tradition. I always feel like I'm doing something good for the environment by getting a real tree- they are grown specifically for that purpose & obviously break down easily when they are "done". The fake ones, however, take tons of oil & resources to be made & sit for a lifetime in a landfill when you're done with them. Just food for thought!
  • Options
    We always had real trees growing up, however, I always put up a fake pre-lit tree.  I collect Lenox ornaments which are very heavy and would never hold on a real tree, so chances are, I'll never have a real tree.  I just use Yankee candles and the Scentstories player to make it smell like Christmas!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagetrevess:
    I've never had a fake tree. I LOVE real trees- wouldn't have it any other way. We always go get ours the day after Thanksgiving- you will be fine! We go cut ours down ourselves- a family tradition. I always feel like I'm doing something good for the environment by getting a real tree- they are grown specifically for that purpose & obviously break down easily when they are "done". The fake ones, however, take tons of oil & resources to be made & sit for a lifetime in a landfill when you're done with them. Just food for thought!

LOL, I'm just lazy :) DH wants a real one because he's never had a real one before - I think he wants to make it a tradition too. Should be fun :)

Ok, stupid question. What the hell do we do with it after Christmas? Also any tips/tricks for keeping it fresh? I just did a little Googling and hear that putting Sprite helps...weird.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl
  • Options
    We always get a real one the day after Thanksgiving. It does last until Christmas but the needles are falling off like crazy by then. You have to water daily. Which is our delemia this year since we will be in California for a week - so we might not be able to get one until December 12 :(
    ~Kimberly & Eric~ April 21, 2008 ~Tensing Pen ~ Negril, Jamaica ~ My Blog: One Sunset at a Time
  • Options

We have always had real trees, except when my DH refused to get one when we lived in Texas because they were 4x the cost as they are up here in Washington, and not as nice. You can definitely get one this weekend and it will stay great until Christmas. Just make sure you keep water in it. You would be surprised how quick it drains the water out of the stand.

Most neighborhoods have one day where they do Christmas tree pick up and you can just put it on the sidewalk and they come and get it. Or other cities do tree drop off sites where you can take it and they dispose of it for you.

Real trees are so much better and I am SO excited to have one this year too! I'm working on convincing him to get ours this weekend too!

• Options
    Growing up we always got a real tree. My parents have since gone to fake but my favorite holiday tradition is going and picking one out. So we buy real. Some types keep their needles better (of course the pricier ones). I think it's worth it to spend a little more and keep my sanity. I recently read vodka (another use Natalee!) helps it keep longer. In our area, there's a specific day they pick up the trees with the trash. It's usually the trash day following the New Year. The date is listed on the public works website and the calendar they send every year. If you miss that day, there's another when you can take it to a designated place and they mulch it.
  • Options
    imageAshNicole331:

What the hell do we do with it after Christmas?

We put it on the curb and our garbage service takes it away for $8 that they just add to our bill.

~Kimberly & Eric~ April 21, 2008 ~Tensing Pen ~ Negril, Jamaica ~ My Blog: One Sunset at a Time
  • Options

We get a real tree.  I grew up with fake trees but I'm so glad DH and I started this tradition.  It's so much more fun.  The city takes it away after Christmas here, you just leave it on the curb and they mulch it. 

Be sure to get a waterer.  We didn't the first year and it was a pain!  We just use one of those clear plastic rods you stick in the tree.

• Options
    We get a real tree the day after tgiving every year. We cut it into little pieces and burn in the firepit in the backyard. It is a good time.
  • Options
    I'm getting a real one. Only I've got to wait until after Sinterklaas (Dec 5th, also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas) to get one. But we keep it until January 6th, so its still a month. I don't have any issues with it not lasting. I just buy one with roots and water it.
  • Options
    We always get a real one--usually right after Turkey Day. I like to add Sprite to the water as mentioned. Never tried vodka. The tree looks fine through the new year, but it's starting to get brittle by then.
  • Options
    I've never had a fake tree. Every year we go up in the forest and cut down a fresh one. If you're not going to put it up immediately when you get home, you'll want to make a fresh cut in the stump when you do put it up to help it soak up the water. Other than that just keep it watered and it should be fine.

Started TTC Nov. 2011 

1st clomid cycle June 2012- No response :: HSG August 2012- Left tube blocked, right tube clear :: 2nd clomid cycle Aug. 2012 BFN :: 3rd clomid cycle Sept. 2012 :: BFP Sept 30th :: DS born 6/15/13 :: BFP #2 7/29/14 M/C 8/5/14 :: BFP#3 10/20/14 DD born 7/1/2015 :: Applied to be surrogate April '17 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for IFs Dec. '17 :: Surro Babe born 9/11/18 :: Started 2nd Journey May '19 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for new IFs 9/24/19 :: HB 138 at 6w6d

• Options
    I have never had a fake tree.  My DH wants to get a fake one every year but I will not allow it.  I am kinda scared to see how TJ reacts to the tree this year, this might be my last year with a real.  Hmm
  • Options
    Natalie made an important point. If you buy one make sure and ask the tree guy to cut off the end of the stump. The fresh cut is important.
  • Options

Growing up we always had a real one.  For some reason my parents always waited until just before Christmas though.  (Maybe because they were cheaper.)  I hated having to wait so long.  Since I've been out on my own, I've always had fake.  I have a pre-lit one now that I love.  I can't stand putting the lights on.  My sister always has a real one though.

• Options
    Even thought we celebrate both holidays - we get a real tree. We usually pick it out on Friday after Thanksgiving and decorate that day. I can't wait to go get ours. Word to the wise - don't set it up near an air vent. We did that one year and it died from getting dried out. Otherwise keep it watered like everyone pointed out and you'll be fine. :) Shall we all post pics of our trees?
  • Options

imageButtercup29:
    Shall we all post pics of our trees?

Good idea!  You better get yours the day after Thanksgiving just in case...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"