North Dakota Babies
Options

Heartburn ?

I had heartburn with Caroline and I've been having it again.  Up until a few nights ago Tums were my best friend.  They seemed to be able to get the fire under control.  However on Sunday night it was really bad.  Really bad.  To the point that it woke me up and was keeping me up.  Then it happened again last night.  Tums aren't helping.  I know I can take a pill for it, but I wanted to see if any of you have any other remedies.

So, what did you do for your heartburn?

Re: Heartburn ?

• Options

I took Tums before I ate anything.  I couldn't risk having heartburn.  That was terrible.  When I had heartburn, I drank milk or chocolate milk or I had a milkshake.  It always helped.

• Options
    imageAshleysred:

I took Tums before I ate anything.  I couldn't risk having heartburn.  That was terrible.  When I had heartburn, I drank milk or chocolate milk or I had a milkshake.  It always helped.

I take Tums all day long.  And unfortunately dairy is a heartburn trigger for me.  Although I have been known to indulge in a few milkshakes this pregnancy.  Embarrassed

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh no.  That sucks.  Have you tried looking in the WTEWYE book.  They had other options for heartburn remedies.  I can't remember them now and can't even look it up for you since I gave that book away.
  • Options

I've always heard that milk can help. 

Feel better!

Katy and Brett ~ Runaway Bay, Jamaica ~ October 4, 2008

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options
    I used Famotidine chews- generic for pepcid ac chews. they worked great and I ended up only having to have one a day vs. 6-10 tums depending on how bad it was. I know you were looking to avoid more drugs- so was I but the chew made it easier to swallow, mind the pun. Per my OB they are ok during pregnancy and BFing. 

K+S 9.18.9 | DD #1 age 2 | PG # 5 EDD 9.17.12

• Options
    I've had wicked heartburn too, Tums and chocolate milk help me.  It keeps me awake at night too.  Feel better!
  • Options
    My progression was tums, milk in the middle of the night (usually with cereal to hold it down), then I elevated my pillow and then they put me on nexium.  The last week or so even that didn't help.  I feel your pain!!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I"ll try the chews that Krissie was talking about.  I've resorted to sleeping with an extra pillow or two, but darn that's uncomfortable.  Better than the heartburn though, I guess.  As for the tums, I bet I've been taking up to 20 per day lately.  Gross!  I think the limit on the bottle says something like 15 so I was getting a little worried.
  • Options
    When I was pregnant w/TJ my dr. told me to take Zantac 150.  I would double check with your doc. but mine said it was safe.  Feel better.  
  • Options

imageJaysgirl119:
    When I was pregnant w/TJ my dr. told me to take Zantac 150.  I would double check with your doc. but mine said it was safe.  Feel better.  

This.  It was actually the MW who told me to take Zantac, but I took the generic store brand kind and I think mine were only 75.  Regardless, they were the only way that I wasn't up all night during the 3rd tri.  If I forgot to take them, forget it!  It was awful.  I figured out that one of my triggers was tomato sauce.  I hated having to give up my Friday night pizza, but it just wasn't worth it.

• Options
    Aw, man...milk triggers your heart burn? A big cold glass of milk was my only savior. Hope you figure out something that works!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl
  • Options
    I'm surprised so many said dairy helped. It's a trigger for a lot of people. A table spoon of baking soda mixed with water helps me more than tums. Although it's disgusting. And like Natalee, cooked tomatoes are a no go for me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"