Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

anyone w/exp w/a blighted ovum? how long to miscarry? (dd pix)

About a week after I got my BFP, I was having really bad back pain. At what I thought was 7 weeks based on my LMP, I went in for an U/S and there was only a sac that measured at 5w3d. I went back a week later at 6w3d and there was still only a gestational sac...no yolk sac or fetal pole although the gestational sac was regularly shaped and did grow from the last week =(

The doctor is pretty sure that it's a blighted ovum and said that with my HCG levels, there should be something more than a sac. I will be getting another ultrasound next week when I should be 7 weeks but I really think I should be closer to 8 or 9 weeks. Has anyone else had an experience with a blighted ovum? I know it is highly unlikely that we will see something next week...doctor said the chances are very slim. So I'm pretty sure the doc's diagnosis as a blighted ovum is correct.

We talked about a D&C or waiting it out and I think I would feel more comfortable with waiting it out and miscarrying naturally at home but I'm worried that I will lose too much blood. If you decided to wait it out, how long did it take for you to miscarry? I was also thinking of Cytotec as an option, does anyone have any experience with taking it?

I am having so much morning sickness....I don't know if I can wait until 12 or 13 weeks and its depressing waking up every morning remembering that you're pregnant but not really pregnant. =( ** My most recent HCG level was 22,000. Prior to that was 15,000. Thanks for any advice.

Re: anyone w/exp w/a blighted ovum? how long to miscarry? (dd pix)

• Options

Sorry you are going through this. I also had a blighted ovum and had a d&e yesterday. I feel better knowing that I can move on now and not have to worry about how long it would take to naturally miscarry. The procedure was relatively painless,  but ultimately it's your decision. My numbers only got to 3400...so they weren't that high to begin with. I am flying tomorrow, so my doctor recommended the surgery.

((((hugs))))

BFP #1 10/23/10 M/C 11/22/10 BFP #2 1/16/11 M/C 2/2011 BFP #3 1/2012 M/C 3/2012 RE testing: all normal 6/2012: injects+Iui = BFN 9/2012 injects + Iui = BFN 12/2012: polyp removal TTC on our own for awhile
  • Options
    I had a blighted ovum with my first pregnancy. I had horrible m/s and went in at 8 weeks to find only a sac. My hcg level was 31,000. We did quantitative hcg's and another u/s in a week and it was the same, no fetal pole. I never had any spotting or bleeding. I opted for the D&C because I was ready for it to be over (my OB also said I would be packing towels because of the amount of blood if I opted to go natural...I didn't want that). The D&C was pretty painless and immediately the intense nausea was gone. We were able to start trying again in 3 months.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's completely appropriate to hold out hope until you're sure. While there aren't happy endings here, there are some if you search the internet (which I did, extensively). I also decided to have a procedure to end the pregnancy. With a blighted ovum your body can be fooled for a while. My doctor told me it could be days or weeks, so once I was sure of the diagnosis, I just wanted to be over.

There are women on this board who have choosen to miscarry naturally.  Hopefully they will respond and give you another perspective. I think the nice thing about going naturally is avoiding a procedure and not having any "what ifs." I thought I might have regrets, and have been surprised that I've had none. It was confirmed by the pathology report which saw no viable fetal tissue.

In the end, there is no wrong choice. Know that you're not alone! ((HUGS))

BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options

Warning pics in siggy...I have had 2 blighted ovums..  The first one I had to have a D&C because I didnt have growth for 2 wks and there was a fetal pole but no heartbeat.  I didnt spot or anything.  It was called a missed miscarriage (my body didnt get the message).. 

The second time I actually m/c at home but I did not pass everything (I was 7 wks the first time and 8 wks the second) so I ended up with a D&C anyway.  I m/c about 4 days after they suspected something was wrong.

Of the two experiences I can tell you that the D&C was a more pleasant way to go.  Not having to see the stuff coming out and going through cramping was much better.  Plus I was asleep for my D&C and I didnt really even have much pain afterwards...

GL in whatever you choose.  {{hugs}} sorry for your loss

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I didn't have a blighted ovum, but I missed my miscarriage and still have not passed the baby yet.  I found out last Tuesday that the baby didn't have a heartbeat anymore.  I too, was given the 3 options: natural, cytotec, or D & c.  I really don't want to do a D & C if I can help it.  I did a round of cytotec last Friday and it didn't do anything (which is pretty uncommon).  I still don't have a speck of blood and have minimal cramping.  I have no clue how long it will take, but I am so ready to get this over with and move on.  I will be trying another dose of Cytotec tomorrow.  This time, I am going to do it vaginally (not sure if it will make a difference, but I am willing to try anything).

GL with your decision.

• Options
    thank you so much for all of your responses ladies! i'm still not sure which option i will go with but i feel so much better hearing about others' experiences. thank you for sharing and gl to everyone.  =)
  • Options
    I had a blighted ovum and decided to wait a week after the confirmed diagnosis to see if I would naturally miscarry.  I was having some spotting and suspected it may happen.  I started some moderate cramping and bleeding towards the end of the week, then miscarried in the middle of the night.  The bleeding was not that severe, but I was completely not expecting the amount of pain I had.  It only lasted an hour, but it was so severe I almost blacked out several times and almost threw up many times also.  If I had to make the choice again, I think I would have chosen the D&C.  I was about 9 weeks and measuring 6.5 weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"