Blended Families
Options

Christmas pickle

Every year for Christmas the BM's have the kids for Christmas eve and Christmas day. We pick up the kids and have them for Christmas night and the two days after. This year Christmas falls on our weekend but DH and I scheduled off work that Monday and Tuesday thinking we would do our usual. Here is the problem (and why 2 BM's is so difficult):

BM#2 wants to do things business as usual even thought it is our weekend (which we also want to do). So the BM's would have them 12/24 till 12/25 evening. We would have them 12/25 evening till 12/28 evening.

BM#1 wants us to get the kids 12/24 evening like a regular Friday since it is our weekend. I am not sure the reason she doesn't want the Christmas eve (they usually do Christmas with her mom) and Christmas morning but it is tough.

The reasons are we will not have the kids open there gifts seperate. We still all get up in the morning and open all together. I still get up at 3am to put the gifts under the tree even though they stopped believing in Santa years ago. So they will be at our house just waiting. We don't want to change what we have done every year with BM#2 b/c it is unfair to the girls since they have other siblings at BM#2's house that they want to do Christmas with.

So do we get BM#1's two on 12/24 and make them wait to open presents or see why she doesn't want them so we can work something out like we have done in the past?

Re: Christmas pickle

• Options
    Let me see if I follow this correctly... lol Regardless you will have all the kids on the morning of the 26th right? I see no reason you could try to work something out with that BM to have them all the same days, but if not I would still do all of their presents on the 26th. If they are old enough to not believe in Santa, they probably won't mind waiting the extra day for their other siblings to be there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagehterry85:
    Let me see if I follow this correctly... lol Regardless you will have all the kids on the morning of the 26th right? I see no reason you could try to work something out with that BM to have them all the same days, but if not I would still do all of their presents on the 26th. If they are old enough to not believe in Santa, they probably won't mind waiting the extra day for their other siblings to be there.

Yeah we will have them all on the 26th and open presents that day. I guess it just feels weird to have them on Christmas morning but not doing anything special. I know they are old enough but it is just odd. Maybe I am a little too into the holidays.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

or have them open one gift on Christmas morning... or save one gift for the 26th... I'd want to open mine ON Christmas, but that's just me ;)

• Options
    imageNikkiJ19:

imagehterry85:

Yeah we will have them all on the 26th and open presents that day. I guess it just feels weird to have them on Christmas morning but not doing anything special. I know they are old enough but it is just odd. Maybe I am a little too into the holidays.

You could still do something special...go out for bruch, go to a movie, etc. Just save the actual Christmas part for when the others are there. You could always open gifts the evening of the 25th too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Talk to BM2(?) about scheduling the "as usual" and explain the diffficulty.  If she's not willing to change to "as usual" maybe give them one gift or a few to open on Christmas morning and have a "mini Christmas" festivities and celebrate Christmas on the 26th when they're all there.

Photobucket
  • Options

I agree with PP on letting them open one or two (or a few gifts) on Christmas Day and leave a few others for the following day to open with their other sibs.

I actually do this every year, because - as a European - we open gifts on Christmas Eve after the big dinner. Since this is not the tradition in the U.S., we have compromised and do a part of our gift-opening on Christmas Eve (to satisfy my tradition) and open the rest on Christmas morning to follow the American tradition.

We all like it this way, it's extra fun!

• Options
    I talked to BM#1 and SS was worried about missing part of his weekend with dad so he wanted to come on Friday. SS didn't realize they would stay Saturday, Sunday, and go home Monday evening. He is good now so we are going with our regular plan! WooHoo!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"