Health & Exercise
Options

How did your running pace change during pregnancy?

I was just wondering how your running pace changed while you were pregnant.

Before I would run 9:00-9:30 min mile comfortably depending on the distance.  While now it's hard for me to even keep a 10:30 pace and normally end up around a 11:00 pace.

Is this the norm of what others experienced?  Or should I be pushing myself a little bit more (while obviously listening to my body)?

Re: How did your running pace change during pregnancy?

• Options
    I gradually lost speed and then really started losing speed in the 3rd trimester.  PP, I ran anywhere between 8:00/9:30 minute miles depending on the distance.  (But for anything over 15 miles I was about a 10:00.)  I did a 5K at 37 weeks at about 10 minute miles, but for most of my runs I was at about 11/12 minute miles.  So I definitely slowed down. I would just run comfortably if I were you - good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I definitely slowed down a lot!  I even had to incorporate a lot more walking and a little less jogging on days I am really feeling slow and tired!!  Just keep it up... and listen to your body, i wouldn't push yourself, you are obviously slowing down for a reason....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just go with what feels comfortable. For me, it changes pretty much daily, but I will say that 1st tri was tough with pace. I was SO short of breath right off the bat that I had to slow way down. 2nd tri my pace was nearly "normal" for me and I had to TELL myself to slow down a bit. Now I am just trying to get a few miles in here and there whether is walking or jogging. I figure whatever I can keep doing from now til the end will be worthwhile :)
    imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh, boy. I slowed down a ton - especially in the end of the third tri. I ran about 7:30 - 8 min mile pace prior to getting pregnant. During the first tri, I was really tired and winded, so ended up run/walking a lot, so pace didn't really apply. During the second tri, I was probably at around 8:30 - 9 min pace, depending on how I felt. Early third tri I was around 10 min mile pace. Towards the end of the third tri, I was at around 10:30 - 11 min pace. My last run was at 39 weeks 3 days, and I swear it was probably 15 min mile pace!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Honestly, I put my Garmin away as soon as I found out I was pregnant.  I didn't even want to know!

I probably lost at least 1-2 minutes per mile.  My only apples to apples comparison was a 22:39 5K normal and a 28:40 5K pregnant (28w with twins). 

Keep in mind that just being pregnant is a 9 month work out.  Anything you do beyond that is bonus.  Even if it's just walking.  I also promise that your body will totally remember how to run post-baby.  My core was really weak, but otherwise I snapped right back.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My pace slowed down a lot- I just listened to my body and would get out of breath, exhausted or just uncomfortable so took it down a notch.  I don't time myself and just do the best I can on any given day.  I'm 21 weeks and do about 3 miles 4-5 times a week- sometimes all walking, sometimes all jogging, and then everything in between.  The hardest part was accepting that I couldn't do what I did before and not beating myself up about it. 
  • Options
    So is it safe to say there is no set week you need to give up running or exercise? I love to exercise but dont want to do something that could hurt the baby. I guess its just nice to hear other women state they ran all the way to their 3rd trimester and the baby was fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLindz5pie:
    So is it safe to say there is no set week you need to give up running or exercise? 
    Assuming you have a complication-free pregnancy, yes.  It's totally safe to run.  Healthy, even.  I'd look into getting the book Exercising Through Your Pregnancy.  It's fantastic.
  • Options

imageLindz5pie:
    So is it safe to say there is no set week you need to give up running or exercise? I love to exercise but dont want to do something that could hurt the baby. I guess its just nice to hear other women state they ran all the way to their 3rd trimester and the baby was fine.

Provided you have a normal, healthy pregnancy, your dr/midwife is OK with it and you listen to you body - absolutely! I ran throughout my whole pregnancy and it was so beneficial - both mentally and physically. It was hard at times, but totally worth it as I have bounced back much more quickly than I had hoped at only 2 wks after his birth. 

• Options

imageLindz5pie:

Nope.  I went for a 4-mile run at 41 weeks, 2 days.  My baby did NOT want to come out, and after a 4-day induction ending in a c-section, I had him at 41 weeks, 6 days, and he's been really healthy.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Like PP said, I stopped wearing my Garmin and even a watch when running now. I had a major freak out to MH a couple weeks ago about how slow I've gotten and how out of shape I feel so I decided to stop even thinking about pace.  I've also stopped tallying my weekly mileage because its just not important any more...I'm trying to remember to just get out there and enjoy the act of running!!  It's such a different mentality then when I'm marathon training but both my body and my mind needed the break!
  • Options
    I was around an 8 minute mile pp, and it went to a 12ish minute mile in early 3rd tri. At the end of 3rd tri, I was power walking during races at a 15 minute mile pace. 
  • Options

imageLindz5pie:

I ran 6 miles the day before I went into labor (on my due date). I had been running daily throughout my pregnancy.

My pace slowed from a 7 min/mile to a 9 min/mile as I got further along.

• Options
    I am so super careful after my miscarriage that I track my HR.  In order to keep it below 140, I run really slow. Frankly, its not even a run. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"