VBAC
Options

bad experience at the OB today

So I have an awesome, VBAC-supportive OB. Today, I saw his partner, who is a DO. First of all, she was more than an hour behind schedule (which is annoying but it happens...she was delivering babies).  When she came in, she was rushed and frantic, just measured my baby and did the heartbeat. Didn't even ask me if I had any questions and I did...so I had to interrupt her walking out the door to ask her.

Anyway, the thing that annoyed me was that she measured my belly and it was 30 weeks (right on target) and she said "oh, are you trying to VBAC?  Good luck...this is a huge baby."  Um, it's not...it's measuring exactly on. My OB doesn't seem concerned with the size.

Maybe I'm overreacting but it rubbed me the wrong way. I hope she's not there when I deliver.

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut

Re: bad experience at the OB today

• Options

how frustrating!  I am so sorry she was like that to you and even if you were measuring "big" that doesn't necessarily mean you have a huge baby that can't be pushed out.  I hope she isn't there when you deliver too Smile

Remember though, if she is and she is not being supportive you can fire her and ask for a new doc.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ugh, so awful! Really, what an ass!

I'm sorry. I wish all OB's were like your regular one. It makes all the difference.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe she just has a really dry sense of humor... Not that I'm a DO or anything and don't deal with mommies on a daily basis, but I often am misunderstood because my wit is so dry.  Just offering another perspective... She really should have her stuff together a bit better, though.  You'd think she'd watch her mouth around hormonal women a bit better!!  Sorry for the bad appt., Er.  Thanks, by the way, for your response to my post about snowboarding pregnant!!  I really appreciate your input!  :)
  • Options

My OB doesn't even measure the baby by measuring the bump b/c it's an unreliable metric depending on the baby's position.  My 1st DS was horizontal across my belly so I looked like a double-wide, but my fundal height was really low.  This DS, I swear is basically doing a dive off the high board and my belly extends so far past the rest of my body, the shadow I cast in the sun looks like a caricature of a pregnant woman.  Based on the 20 week scans... my boys are basically the same size...  SO, not sure if you can 'really' judge VBAC based on an exterior measure of size. DS #1 was 7lbs 9oz 37w5d.  (Other factors led to the c-section, but I went to the hospital with the OB planning a vaginal delivery.)

Chat with the OB the next time around about his partner's comments.  There are 2 OBs in our practice and we alternate seeing them (so we're comfortable with whomever delivers DS) - it's interesting to see the different styles.  They fight like the Odd Couple.

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"