Blended Families
Options

Just curious... guilt trips other plans?

If you are a SM and you have your SKIDS EOW... do you make other plans for yourself or do you keep that wkend (or time) set aside to spend with JUST them? or them and other family?...

I have a 3 day wkend when we have the kids.  When we don't, I only have ONE day off, so if I want to visit friends, etc, it's not that easy and sometimes (not all cause I don't do it a lot) I get the 'sure-plan stuff when they're here' comment.  My remark back is... Jerk, knock it off.

Just wondered if anyone else gets this or makes plans or goes away to visit friends if it's your time to have the SKIDS?

Re: Just curious... guilt trips other plans?

• Options

If something is going on the weekend we have SD, I don't say no just because she is here.  Sure, sometimes I feel a little guilty, but DH has never minded.  I also am mindful to not make those types of plans every weekend either.  There have been plenty of times though when I have declined because we have SD.  It just depends on what the occasion is/outing is for.  My friend's annual ornament exchange party?  I will go to that regardless of whether we have SD or not.  A random casual girl's wine night in at a friend's house?  That is skippable.

We are also very flexible with the visitation schedule, so we can always switch weekends as well if something big were to interfere.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It will be two weeks on Wed since I last saw my SS.  The weekend before last I went away with friends for the night and last Wed I attended an event and he was in bed before I got home.

On Wed DH tried to guilt me with ' he's been asking all eve where you are' and I actually believe he was BUT I think it is a necessity for him to have a relationship with his dad and a bonus if he gets along well with me also.

In a nut shell, if something comes up and I want to go, I go.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have SDs all summer. I schedule lunches witha friend and bring them along. They know my friends, I have 2 or 3 close friends so they know my friends. We pick kid friendly restaurants and SDs are fine. I have gone out with friends a time or two and DH stayed home with the girls. I don't feel guilty because I typically spend more time with them (I shuttle them to and from daycamp, I work from home when they aren't at camp etc) and its like a night off.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagePhantomgirl:

It will be two weeks on Wed since I last saw my SS.  The weekend before last I went away with friends for the night and last Wed I attended an event and he was in bed before I got home.

On Wed DH tried to guilt me with ' he's been asking all eve where you are' and I actually believe he was BUT I think it is a necessity for him to have a relationship with his dad and a bonus if he gets along well with me also.

This is def a good point! At least I put the laundry in the washer before I left... right? ;)  I know. I feel a little guilty, but I think that I would still make plans if they were here 24/7.  And he would, too.  Thanks!

• Options

If something comes up that I want to attend when we have the SKs I go. They like the time alone with dad. Nothing to feel guilty over!

• Options
    I don't usually go out by myself if SD is here..but that's really not all that different from when she's not here. On the rare occasion that I do go out without SD and DH it's never a big deal. I miss the time we have together but again, it's pretty rare.
  • Options

Personally I think its ok to leave when they are there, but if you are leaving because they are there, then it's a problem KWIM? As often as I would go out alone, I would plan something for us all.

As with everything, it is all about finding a balance.

• Options

I don't make plans on the weekends the Skids are with us.  I only get to see them EOW so I want to spend as much time as i can with them.  Occasionally if something comes up that I can't avoid (a baby shower or a wedding or some one time event) I will do that, but I don't make plans just to go out with friends or whatever.

It also might have to do with the fact that I have 2 Skids and one LO of my own so if I go out then DH has to be home with all three kids by himself, which I don't think is very fair for him.

• Options
    imagePhantomgirl:

Agree! 

Last friday night I went out with my two girlfriends(hadn't seen them together in over a year) and didn't feel bad whatsoever. I also work a lot of weekends so I do miss time with them. Sometimes it really bothers me, because I do miss them. BUT I know that the boys need their dad, they only have two weekends a month together and I love seeing them go off together and bond, just the three of them.

However, during the 4 weeks in summer that we get them, I do take a lot of my vacation time to spend with them.

• Options

double post

• Options

No, I do not make other plans during the times my SKs are here.

Edited to say: I don't think it's a horrible thing if some do make occasional plans when their SKs are there. Just not something I do.

DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Options
    I would not plan stuff all the time but sometimes is ok.  Hell, I plan things and my DH watches our kids so why not just his own?  That sounded wrong but you get what I mean.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

I occasionally make plans when SS is with us but I'm more likely to make them when he's not just because it's easier for DH to watch 1 v. 2.

I see nothing wrong with time away from the kids. They need one-on-one bonding time with their dad too, right?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I carry on with everything, I am good to them and support my Dh in visitation but hey their mom gets her weekends and on most of them my Dh's familly gets them a lot on hers too for her.  So I don't feel guilty it's his visitation and he should spend time with jist them. You can't make everything perfect for everyone else or you will become resentful.  I try to balance it but sometimes you just can't. I work full time and when my kids get the chance to go to their dad's (he travels so no regular visitation) I like to use the time for myself, Monday mornings come way to fast and if I don't do anything for myself i get somewhat resentful. My DH is totally understanding.  GL
  • Options
    imageJessys_Girl:

I don't make plans on the weekends the Skids are with us.  I only get to see them EOW so I want to spend as much time as i can with them.  Occasionally if something comes up that I can't avoid (a baby shower or a wedding or some one time event) I will do that, but I don't make plans just to go out with friends or whatever.

It also might have to do with the fact that I have 2 Skids and one LO of my own so if I go out then DH has to be home with all three kids by himself, which I don't think is very fair for him.

Ditto the bolded. I work every Friday night until late so Skids get to spend Friday nights alone with DH. They usually watch a movie together or something like that. Then if we go out, we go as a family. Plans are made as a family. For little errands, like running to the store, I usually take one SD and the other stays home with DH. Next time, we switch.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 11/23/10 MMC @ 7w3d Discovered @ 10w2d D&C 1/12/11

BFP 7/6/11 Our Lucky Charm born 3/5/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"