Postpartum Depression

i need help with what to do...please

My daughter was born three weeks ago. I have never been diagnosed with depression, but only because I have always kept everything to myself. But before becoming pregnant I was always pretty unhappy and angry all the time. My pregnancy was pretty good, I never got too unhappy. Now I am constantly stressed, angry at my husband, sad, crying way too much, and unmotivated to do anything. My daughter is a really good sleeper already, so I do not think it is lack of sleep, but if I did not have to care for her I would stay in bed allll day. I am on maternity leave, but I stay home all day (lack of motivation to do anything, even around the house) and I avoid contact with friends and family. I have absolutely no appetite. If I eat its just because my husband will get home from work and he makes me, because I realize that I have not eaten all day.

I never have a completely normal day. There are good parts to the day somtimes, but I breakdown at some point. I love my daughter and have not had any problems bonding with her. When I am caring for her, all the sadness and anger goes away. When I do feel sad and angry, I basically feel like there is no reason behind it.

I am looking for advice on what to do. Am I feeling normal new mom symptoms? Could this be depression? I am just three weeks postpartum...should I wait until my six week check to bring this up to my OB or should I contact my primary care physician? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: i need help with what to do...please

• ::hugs::  It sounds like depression to me.  I would not wait 3 more weeks to bring it up with your OB.  I'd call ASAP and get started on some meds and therapy.  You'll feel so much better once you start that you'll wonder why you even waited this long.
    imageimage

• Don't wait! Whatever you do- don't wait! What you are describing sounds a lot like what I felt by 2-3 weeks postpartum. I had nurses tell me it was the baby blues because it was so early and it would pass, but I knew it was more. There is a difference. When you can barely eat and sleep you know that something more is wrong. I finally insisted on being seen by the Dr. and it was the best thing I ever did. I started meds, therapy and a support group. My world really changed. It gets better, you just have to ask for what you need. You aren't alone. ::hugs:::
    PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"