Hawaii Babies

random post-partum q's re ute pain, bf'ing

1. i've been taking 600mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for 9 days now.  each time i think i don't need it anymore, i regret not taking it.  like somewhat-bad-to-bad cramps, nothing horrible or debilitating, but still.  Stick out tongue am i being a baby, or should i just keep taking the ibuprofen?  for how long?  I've never taken pain meds for this long.

2. I feel like a dairy cow.  how long should it take to pump and empty both breasts?   i've found there's a direct correlation between how strong/high i set the pump, and how long it takes.  should i grit my teeth and make it go faster, or just let it take forever (30+min)?  don't want to damage anything by being too aggressive - how long before it stops hurting?  it's hurts like %#@$ every time i start, but by the end of 10 min or so, it's fine.  i think this is normal?  it also hurts, about the same, when E is breastfeeding

3. i'm starting to get a crack on each nipple (well, where the nipple meets the areola).  i've been putting on lanolin after each session, which definitely helps, but i feel like one is on the verge of bleeding.  what do i do if it actually starts bleeding?  I don't want to feed my baby blood!  but not pumping gets uncomfortable, and i want to keep my supply up

4. speaking of lanolin - a friend gave me some tubes of lansinoh she had leftover.  it's harder, yellow, stickier, and smells not so good - compared to the medela samples i got at the hospital - softer, more clear with just the slightly tint of color, not super sticky, and doesn't smell.  should i not use the lansinoh and just buy new?  is there a shelf life for this stuff once it's been opened? ...erm, just looked at the expiration - 11/09.  oops.  but that's all i have with me at the hospital today.  maybe i should see if i can get another medela sample...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: random post-partum q's re ute pain, bf'ing

• I was JUST going to page you on the board and saw this post.  I've been thinking of you and wondering how it's going and how E is doing. :)  BF'ing is hard stuff girl, I hear you.  The lanolin I have wasn't what you described so yep as you figured I'd get a new tube of it.  I put it on after each nursing session in the beginning and it helped a lot.  BF'ing does get easier and it hurts less and less over time, you'll get there I promise.  Oh and in the beginning I felt like a dairy cow too, that passes as well when they don't eat as frequently ;)  Hang in there *hugs*
    I love Hawaii!

Tara & Ian . 4/24/2008 . The Kahala Planning . Married

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • so glad you checked in - I have been wondering about you and sending you good vibes.

let's see.... def. get new lanolin.  Ask for another sample (and check the gift shop?).  Those soothie things never felt good for me b/c I didn't like peeling them back off.  The thing that helped me the most were the medela domes to help air things out and keep my bra/shirt off the nips.  See if they have those at the hospital.  Is there an LC there?  Plead with her  ;)  The one at my hosp. brought the domes by but I think they probably just came from the gift shop b/c I noticed 200+ charge on my bill (pump + ??).

Pain - not sure about pumping I didn't try it until much later but BFing HURTS.  I was totally convinced something was wrong with me.  Toe curling pain for 6 weeks.  I would tense up, let him latch and then feel like crying.  My friend's mom is an LC and she was probably tired of looking at my breasts.  We tried everything (except a nipple guard b/c I didn't want to do anything to hinder production and BFing in the long term and I could technically *deal* with the pain, but certainly it was no cake walk).

Good luck!  Can't wait to see more pics :)

• Loading the player...
  • and re: ute pain....  I would sometimes take an IBp (800mg) once a day but then usually forget and wasn't that uncomfortable.  My pain was less crampy, more from tears and swelling externally.

Has your MW said anything about uterine size - has yours shrunk back down well?  Mine was super fast and the MW said that probably helped with less cramping.... If you are still getting cramps it makes me think you are still having slight contractions.  Regardless IBp is safe and I noticed my bottle said I could have refills, so I think if they anticipate the need continued use would seem pretty normal?

• i

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image Heather and Mark | Lanikuhonua 8-14-08
  • 1. i've been taking 600mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for 9 days now.  each time i think i don't need it anymore, i regret not taking it.  like somewhat-bad-to-bad cramps, nothing horrible or debilitating, but still.  Stick out tongue am i being a baby, or should i just keep taking the ibuprofen?  for how long?  I've never taken pain meds for this long.

I'm not sure how it is with a vag delivery but since I had a c/s I made sure to stay on top of my pain meds.  Took them for 10 days-2 weeks.  Can't remember.  I took percocet until I ran out and then kept taking ibuprofen for a while.

2. I feel like a dairy cow.  how long should it take to pump and empty both breasts?   i've found there's a direct correlation between how strong/high i set the pump, and how long it takes.  should i grit my teeth and make it go faster, or just let it take forever (30+min)?  don't want to damage anything by being too aggressive - how long before it stops hurting?  it's hurts like %#@$ every time i start, but by the end of 10 min or so, it's fine.  i think this is normal?  it also hurts, about the same, when E is breastfeeding

They say to turn it up to where it's uncomfortable but not painful.  You can also massage your breasts to get more milk out.  I basically just squeeze them while I'm pumping to get it out faster.

3. i'm starting to get a crack on each nipple (well, where the nipple meets the areola).  i've been putting on lanolin after each session, which definitely helps, but i feel like one is on the verge of bleeding.  what do i do if it actually starts bleeding?  I don't want to feed my baby blood!  but not pumping gets uncomfortable, and i want to keep my supply up

I used the lanolin all the time and Soothies.  They feel fantastic if you put them in the fridge first.

4. speaking of lanolin - a friend gave me some tubes of lansinoh she had leftover.  it's harder, yellow, stickier, and smells not so good - compared to the medela samples i got at the hospital - softer, more clear with just the slightly tint of color, not super sticky, and doesn't smell.  should i not use the lansinoh and just buy new?  is there a shelf life for this stuff once it's been opened? ...erm, just looked at the expiration - 11/09.  oops.  but that's all i have with me at the hospital today.  maybe i should see if i can get another medela sample...

Definitely get the Lansinoh.  The medela one isn't actually pure lanolin if you look at the ingredients.  I got a tube from the hospital but ended up just using the Lansinoh that I bought once I got home.

Keep it up!  It does get easier.  I was in pain for about 6-7 weeks and then I was fine. And in the long run I feel like it was much easier to bf than formula feed due to not having to deal with bottles so much.  

• 1. I forgot how long I took it (at least a week for sure), but I remember going through what you did...where I thought I didn't need it anymore and then I regret it. And you're right, it's not like excruciating pain, but we just gave birth and we need to rest! So I just always kept it on me and took it whenever I needed it. And I never ever take pain meds for anything else in my life (just tylenol when I have a fever).

2. Heh, it takes me 30-45min  =P that's why I kinda stopped. I rather go home (10 min) and nurse (10 min) and drive back for a total of 30 min instead cuz then I get to see LO.

3. Using nursing pads help. But airing out is still the best (plus the lanolin) and it heals really quickly after that.

4. I'd throw that one away. My Lansinoh lanolin was soft, a little sticky but not like glue or anything, and clear with only a hint of light yellow and smells just fine. I think your old tube has to go, esp if it expired in 09! I really liked my Lansinoh lanolin.

Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • 1. I would call your OB and ask about this ute pain!!!  I had really bad pain in my ute that I thought was normal and then come to find out I had a uterine infection that was making it so painful. I was in agony and also had a fever of 104. The emergency room doctor was going to admit me for days he said but my OB talked him into letting me go home. You def want to make sure you don't have/get one of those. If I remember right your LO pooped inside you right? (sorry it's late, I can't think of the proper term). My LO did that too and I think that's what caused it.

2. I too agree w/ C. Massage your breast while pumping to get it out faster. What also works for me is to be on the computer or read a book while pumping. I've been EP for about 6.5 months now and I hate pumping. If I get my mind off of it my let down comes faster and stronger.

3. I had 1 painful nipple the whole 6 weeks Ryan ate from me. All those creams didn't do anything for me. What worked best for me was to rub breast milk all over my nipples every time and let them air dry. The next time I breast fed or pumped I would wipe my nipples first.

How is your little one?

• 1. i've been taking 600mg of ibuprofen every 6 hours for 9 days now.  each time i think i don't need it anymore, i regret not taking it.  like somewhat-bad-to-bad cramps, nothing horrible or debilitating, but still.  Stick out tongue am i being a baby, or should i just keep taking the ibuprofen?  for how long?  I've never taken pain meds for this long.Have you had a fever? If so for sure call your OB. I only took the Ibuprofen for about a week. Then I was ok but everyone's body responds differently. It was definitely worse when BFing!
    2. I feel like a dairy cow.  how long should it take to pump and empty both breasts?   i've found there's a direct correlation between how strong/high i set the pump, and how long it takes.  should i grit my teeth and make it go faster, or just let it take forever (30+min)?  don't want to damage anything by being too aggressive - how long before it stops hurting?  it's hurts like %#@$ every time i start, but by the end of 10 min or so, it's fine.  i think this is normal?  it also hurts, about the same, when E is breastfeedingFirst NEVER pump more than 15-20 mins at a time! Part of that is because you don't want to create over supply but part of that is that you don't want to harm your nipples. Even if they aren't completely empty. You will trigger your body to make more if you are pumping longer sessions and you could end up with an oversupply problem. How old is your LO now? I only pumped the first 6 weeks when I was VERY engorged. Other than that, I didn't pump on a regular basis and had a fine milk supply. I felt like the pump hurt less than Bella nursing! It hurt for about the first 6 weeks or so, I'm being honest, sorry! It did get better each day though. 3. i'm starting to get a crack on each nipple (well, where the nipple meets the areola).  i've been putting on lanolin after each session, which definitely helps, but i feel like one is on the verge of bleeding.  what do i do if it actually starts bleeding?  I don't want to feed my baby blood!  but not pumping gets uncomfortable, and i want to keep my supply upThis could be because you've been pumping and nursing and your nipples are chaffed. Have you tried expressing some milk and rubbing it on your nipples then letting them air dry? If your nipple bleeds it's still fine to feed your LO. It's a very little amt and won't affect him. I used the lanolin in the purple tube and it was thick and difficult to spread. I used the medela brand more because it hurt less to apply. I also LOVED the soothies! I lived in those things after every nursing session for 6 weeks +!!4. speaking of lanolin - a friend gave me some tubes of lansinoh she had leftover.  it's harder, yellow, stickier, and smells not so good - compared to the medela samples i got at the hospital - softer, more clear with just the slightly tint of color, not super sticky, and doesn't smell.  should i not use the lansinoh and just buy new?  is there a shelf life for this stuff once it's been opened? ...erm, just looked at the expiration - 11/09.  oops.  but that's all i have with me at the hospital today.  maybe i should see if i can get another medela sample...I really like the medela brand but it's a personal preference. The medela is like you said much easier to spread. It's hard work but you CAN do it if you want. I would also ask to speak to the lactation coordinator today since your at the hospital at then see what she has to say about all of your questions. They should have someone there even on the weekends. Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"