Indiana Babies
Options

Toning shoes?

Does anyone own a pair the the "toning" althletic shoes? I need a new pair of shoes for work and it occurred to me today that something like this might be a good idea since I do a lot of walking. I would definitely want a pair that look normal, not the kind that have  the rocking sole.
Do they work?
Which brand/version do you have?

Re: Toning shoes?

• Options

They're a giant, expensive, gimmicky load of crap.  Seriously.

They "work" by destabilizing your balance so that your legs have to work in new and different ways to keep you upright.  So for the first few times you wear them, your legs will feel sore.  Thus, the gullible general public says "WOW they're making my legs work harder!"  No, they're just making your legs work *differently*.  Same as if you walked around in high heels for a whole day.  There's no added calorie-burning benefit or any such thing.

The have also been blamed for a lot of foot, ankle, and lower leg injuries.

PLUS, they're fugly.

Get a good quality pair of walking shoes -- go to a running specialty store for a gait analysis and they'll match you up with shoes that are ideal for your anatomy and your gait.  That way you'll be completely comfortable AND prevent fatigue and injury.

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
  • Options
    imageIndyGirl02:

They're a giant, expensive, gimmicky load of crap.  Seriously.

They "work" by destabilizing your balance so that your legs have to work in new and different ways to keep you upright.  So for the first few times you wear them, your legs will feel sore.  Thus, the gullible general public says "WOW they're making my legs work harder!"  No, they're just making your legs work *differently*.  Same as if you walked around in high heels for a whole day.  There's no added calorie-burning benefit or any such thing.

The have also been blamed for a lot of foot, ankle, and lower leg injuries.

PLUS, they're fugly.

Get a good quality pair of walking shoes -- go to a running specialty store for a gait analysis and they'll match you up with shoes that are ideal for your anatomy and your gait.  That way you'll be completely comfortable AND prevent fatigue and injury.

lol, thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you seen the new commercials for the Easytone shorts and pants "with built in resistance bands?"  Very odd.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageheatherchelle:
    Have you seen the new commercials for the Easytone shorts and pants "with built in resistance bands?"  Very odd.

Yes, now there are CLOTHES that will "tone" your body.  Confused

I literally can't believe that people out there buy this stuff.  Like, figuratively and literally BUY it.

#PerfectStrangers

2012 Races:
    1/28 - Planet Adventure night trail 1/4-marathon - 1:25:47
    3/24 - Sam Costa half marathon - 2:02:47
    4/14 - Hoosier 10 miler - 1:25:21 (8:32) PR!
    7/8 - XTERRA Freedom Fest Hawaii 10K
    9/1 - Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon
    10/20 - Indianapolis Marathon Relay
    11/4 - Monumental Marathon (full marathon #2)
    11/22 - Drumstick Dash 4.5mi
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"