VBAC

If you had c/s for CPD or FTP

I was looking for studies for another post on here and I found this:

Cephalopelvic disproportion and failure to progress did not demonstrate a significant predictive value (odds ratio 0.81) for success or failure in subsequent delivery. In fact, 63.8% of women with this indication have successfully undergone vaginal delivery. 

So if you've been told you can't VBAC because of CPD or because your cervix didn't dilate or your baby didn't descend, here is a study that says it's BS.  And there are other studies out there that agree with it.  

Yes 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: If you had c/s for CPD or FTP

• That's fantastic!  Would you mind sharing the link/citation where you got that study?

TIA. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJG362009:

That's fantastic!  Would you mind sharing the link/citation where you got that study?

TIA. 

Oops, duh!  

https://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(96)70393-9/abstract

It's an older study but as far as I know, more recent studies have upheld this finding and uteruses haven't changed much.   :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    M/C Dec 2010 - 5w5d Missing my sweet angel baby.
  • Thanks!  Although my new midwife's response when I told her that I had a c/s due to FTP after getting to 9 cm was "oh, you're the perfect VBAC candidate" which was such a refreshing thing to hear! 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've seen similar things recently in my research and it just makes me more p!ssed at my OB for telling me I couldn't have a vbac because of a narrow pelvis and DD not descending. Because apparentally the fact that DD was likely not positioned well for birth and I couldn't move to help facilitate her due to getting an epi early on due the excruiating pain of having my water broke and a high dose of pitocin early on in an induction that my body obviously wasn't ready for had nothing to do with it. Obviously, I have still issues, but thanks for the additional research to tow along with me to my appt with my new OB next month.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • I only made it to 6cm with DS before the c/s due to fetal distress.  When we talked about a VBAC with DD they told me that as long as I progressed at all, which to them was anything beyond 4cm, that they felt I would be fine for the VBAC. It meant that the cervix could dilate and respond to contractions. 

I always thought that if you got "stuck" while in active labor that it was more due to the size/position of the baby that was preventing your cervix from dilating rather than your body "not working" Not sure if you were told the same.

Even with only making it to 6cm with DS, I had a very successful VBAC with DD with no complications.  So go for it ladies! You can def do it!

• imageLesley0228:
    I've seen similar things recently in my research and it just makes me more p!ssed at my OB for telling me I couldn't have a vbac because of a narrow pelvis and DD not descending. Because apparentally the fact that DD was likely not positioned well for birth and I couldn't move to help facilitate her due to getting an epi early on due the excruiating pain of having my water broke and a high dose of pitocin early on in an induction that my body obviously wasn't ready for had nothing to do with it. Obviously, I have still issues, but thanks for the additional research to tow along with me to my appt with my new OB next month.

Ugh yes.  My OB told me the same thing at my 6 week postpartum appointment.  She actually told me I could only have a vaginal birth if I had a preemie and then told me about another patient she had who was able to VBAC because she went into labor at 35 weeks or something.  

Once I started doing research on my own and learned how high the VBAC rate after a CPD diagnosis was, I got really pissed that my OB had been so negative.  Because even though I've done all this research, I still have that fear in the back of my mind that my pelvis is defective or something.  Hopefully I'll be able to VBAC and prove that wrong. :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:

imageLesley0228:
    I've seen similar things recently in my research and it just makes me more p!ssed at my OB for telling me I couldn't have a vbac because of a narrow pelvis and DD not descending. Because apparentally the fact that DD was likely not positioned well for birth and I couldn't move to help facilitate her due to getting an epi early on due the excruiating pain of having my water broke and a high dose of pitocin early on in an induction that my body obviously wasn't ready for had nothing to do with it. Obviously, I have still issues, but thanks for the additional research to tow along with me to my appt with my new OB next month.

Ugh yes.  My OB told me the same thing at my 6 week postpartum appointment.  She actually told me I could only have a vaginal birth if I had a preemie and then told me about another patient she had who was able to VBAC because she went into labor at 35 weeks or something.  

Once I started doing research on my own and learned how high the VBAC rate after a CPD diagnosis was, I got really pissed that my OB had been so negative.  Because even though I've done all this research, I still have that fear in the back of my mind that my pelvis is defective or something.  Hopefully I'll be able to VBAC and prove that wrong. :)

I understand that nagging fear of maybe it really is my pelvis, but I know the only way to really find out though is to try and see just what your pelvis can do. I am thinking about checking out a chiropractor once I'm pregnant though for good measure. The day after my c section my OB told me that my pelvis was long and narrow and the only thing that I could give birth to vaginally was a banana. Seriously, exact words. It wasn't real optimistic, but I trust that lady as far as I can throw her. I ran into her at the grocery store a couple weeks ago and totally lied and said I had already scheduled my yearly appt because I didn't know how to break up with my OB in the grocery and not look like a crazy person.

Anyways, good luck with your VBAC. I would love to see you prove them wrong!

imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • imageLesley0228:
    imageiris427:

imageLesley0228:

I understand that nagging fear of maybe it really is my pelvis, but I know the only way to really find out though is to try and see just what your pelvis can do. I am thinking about checking out a chiropractor once I'm pregnant though for good measure. The day after my c section my OB told me that my pelvis was long and narrow and the only thing that I could give birth to vaginally was a banana. Seriously, exact words. It wasn't real optimistic, but I trust that lady as far as I can throw her. I ran into her at the grocery store a couple weeks ago and totally lied and said I had already scheduled my yearly appt because I didn't know how to break up with my OB in the grocery and not look like a crazy person.

You should have handed her a banana and said "meet my new baby--I had her by VBAC!"

Or thrown the banana at her head.

(Seriously I cannot believe your OB said that to you.  I think you have posted about that before on TB or there is someone else on here whose OB said that to them too.  Because I have read that comment on here before and was totally appalled the first time I read it too.  I hope you can prove that OB wrong too!) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:
    imageLesley0228:
    imageiris427:

imageLesley0228:

You should have handed her a banana and said "meet my new baby--I had her by VBAC!"

Or thrown the banana at her head.

(Seriously I cannot believe your OB said that to you.  I think you have posted about that before on TB or there is someone else on here whose OB said that to them too.  Because I have read that comment on here before and was totally appalled the first time I read it too.  I hope you can prove that OB wrong too!) 

LOL! Throwing it sounds like a great idea! To add to the insult, after she said I could only give birth to a banana she looked at DD and said "And she's no banana" and laughed. Seriously lady. I have complained about her on TB and MM before so its probably me you've seen. At least I hope no one else has gotten the banana pelvis line.

imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"