VBAC
Options

Large baby and VBAC

I'm still trying to hold out hope that I'll go into labor but the growth ultrasound today estimated me at 8.13, and I'm 38 weeks 4 days.  I know, I know, I'm not a big believer in them but the reason I had one is my first was 9.11 and this one looks to be very similar.

All the research I've read says less chance of successful VBAC with baby over 9 pounds, going post-term, etc.  And the drs. seem a lot more antsy to schedule the c/s with a big baby.

So the question is how long we'll decide to wait before scheduling it.  Darn uncooperative cervix that didn't want to dilate last time and doesn't appear to this time.

Re: Large baby and VBAC

• Options
    Maybe your babies cook longer. 40 weeks is only an average. And yes, as you said, the ultrasounds can be way way off. If nothing else, at least let yourself go into labor so that you know your baby is ready to be born. Big /= mature.
    The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Options

I don't know your whole story so I can't really comment about the dilating, but here's what happened to me:

My first DD was 10 lbs 1 oz. I had a c-section because they estimated her to be 10 lbs 13 oz. I never dilated until the day I went into labor and when I got to the hospital, I was dilated to 4cm. I had been to my doctor's appointment that day (39 w 4 d) and wasn't dilated at all. They called the doctor in the middle of the night and did my c-section.

This time I switched OB's at 28 weeks because the one I was seeing for a VBAC started talking about scheduling a c-section for a big baby. My new OB didn't do a growth ultrasound even though I was measuring large. I wasn't dilated at my 39 week appointment and we talked about scheduling another c-section. I went in for my 40 week appointment and I was dilated just a bit so he scheduled me for an induction. I ended up going into labor the day after (40 w 3 d) and succesfully delivered my 9 lb 15 oz DD via VBAC.

I hope this gives you a little hope. I'm so glad I held out for my VBAC because there was a point where I was just ready to schedule another c-section thinking that I wasn't going to dilate (even though it appeared I wasn't dilating with my first pregnancy and went into labor that day). Good luck to you!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Luckily, my OB didn't give me size estimates because I would've been scared to death to birth a 9#8oz baby! 

Scheduling a c/s wasn't even an option in my mind when I was planning for my VBAC.  I did, however, schedule an induction at my 40w appt.  My induction was scheduled for August 9th (that would've been my 42w mark) but I went into labor naturally on August 4th (41w 2d) and birthed a huge baby with no meds and no complications.

Not only can it be done, but it's the coolest experience ever :)

• Options

I can't tell you what you should do, but I can say that I don't put a whole lot (or any really) faith in growth ultrasounds or dialation.  Some women are dialated 4cm for weeks and don't go into labor.  Some woman are not dialated at all and birth a baby within hours.

With DS I was 2cm at 35 weeks and had a scheduled c/s at 38 weeks.  She never checked my dialation again, but I still went at least 3 weeks at 2ish cm and didn't go into labor.

With DD, I didn't get checked at all until I was at the hospital pushing.  I could have been 0 or 8 when I started labor, I will never know.

I agree with PP though, who said, even if you want a c/s I would wait until you go into labor so you know baby is ready to be born. 

I also don't remember reading anything that said that your success rate goes down with babies over 9 lbs or going post-dates

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

where did you get the info about vbacs being less successful 'post-term' and with a large baby?

i ask b/c my vbac was also a hbac at nearly 42weeks of a 10lb baby with no tearing :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"