Austin Babies
Options

Pregnancy/breastfeeding and dry scalp?

For the past few months, my scalp has been super dry around my hair line. I've never had a dandruff problem so I have no idea what's going on. It looks like my scalp is peeling after a bad sunburn. I asked my stylist about it and she said pregnancy could be the cause of it since our hormones get so out of whack. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to get rid of it? I use Pureology Hydrate shampoo and conditioner if it matters...

Re: Pregnancy/breastfeeding and dry scalp?

• Options

EVERYTHING about me was dry while I was bfing.  My hair was ICK the whole time.  So limp, dry, my skin, yuck.  The only thing I can suggest is water, water, water.

* oh and maybe ask your doc (or her pedi) about an extra Vit E supplement. 

• Options

YES! I have this issue too! I bought Garnier Anti-Dandruff shampoo and have not had problems since. 

I should add - I used to use pureology shampoo a few years ago, and it had the same effect on me though. My hairline and scalp got really dry and flaky. Itchy too. So it could be the shampoo too. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The baby sucked every ounce of water out of me when I was pregnant.  I had to use head n shoulders and extra hydrating lotion on my body my whole pregnancy.
  • Options

Another thing to be aware of is hypothyroidism. Mine was pregnancy induced and symptoms include:

• Fatigue
    • Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
    • Coarse, dry hair
    • Dry, rough pale skin
    • Hair loss
    • Cold intolerance (you can't tolerate cold temperatures like those around you)
    • Depression
    • Irritability
    • Memory loss
    • Abnormal menstrual cycles
    • Decreased libido

I had nearly all of these. A quick blood draw showed hypothyroidism. SO, if you have any other symptoms, might be worth a check!

• Options
    I'm not breastfeeding and haven't yet, but for years I thought I had dandruff and used Head and Shoulders with minimal results. Turns out it was psoriasis and using Neutrogena T-gel shampoo made all the difference in the world. I get it mainly around my hairline as well and totally recommend it. And although it's a little stinky in the shower, my hair is still lovely. Wink
  • Options
    I am so glad I just saw this post.  I am breastfeeBig Smileding and now pregnant again and while my scalp has always been dry it is now unbearably so.  It's itchy and I have dry raised patches especially around my hairline.  I am going to buy the Neutrogena T-gel and give that a whirl.  I've been using Neutrogena dry scalp shampoo and conditioner but it has done nothing to help.  If anyone else has any other solutions please say so.  Thanks Big Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"