VBAC
Options

Did your OB go over risks in detail?

I'm a little leary of a VBAC. My good friend started to have one (she was scheduled for a repeat C but went into labor too early) and not only did she have a uterine rupture but her bladder ruptured as well. She almost died and lost her uterus. Just wondering if the OB is really giving me all the info. 
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Did your OB go over risks in detail?

• Options

imagemrsmatto:
    I'm a little leary of a VBAC. My good friend started to have one (she was scheduled for a repeat C but went into labor too early) and not only did she have a uterine rupture but her bladder ruptured as well. She almost died and lost her uterus. Just wondering if the OB is really giving me all the info. 

What info did your doctor give you?

My OB and I talked about the risks of VBAC in depth.  We discussed rupture and the odds of it happening, how often it's symptomatic and how often it's fatal, how it's detected etc.  He gave me concrete numbers based on medical studies.  I really appreciated that my OB was upfront and realistic about the risks of rupture but not a fear-mongerer.  He is a huge supporter of VBAC and really encourages it, but wants to make sure you are informed about it as well.

What happened to your friend is definitely a worst-case scenario.  I think it's important to keep in mind that that happens rarely and probably won't happen to you.  And it's also important to remember that equally bad things can happen with cesarean delivery.  In the end, you have to decide whether VBAC or RCS is the right decision for you, just don't make that choice under the assumption that one choice is risk-free.

GL! 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

OMG about your friend!!!  Yikes.  Never heard of the bladder rupturing too.

My OB basically said that I can do it if I want---but they can't help me AT ALL--so if I get stuck, c-section it is.  And they said the risk of rupture---their stats seemed a little higher than what I've read.  But I wouldn't say they went in to other risks--but did say that uterine rupture is very serious. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesmiling76:

OMG about your friend!!!  Yikes.  Never heard of the bladder rupturing too.

The bladder rupture was a rare complication. So rare that her OB joked later that she could end up in a medical journal someday. It had something to do with scar tissue from the uterus adhering to the bladder after her first C-section.

My OB won't do a VBAC so I've been doing research on those who will. I was just wondering what to expect when I do meet with one who is open to them.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

Most OBs seem very prepared to talk about VBAC risks.

But oddly, they never seem to mention the risks inherent to repeat c/s.

Ideally, I think an OB should discuss the risks of both options and I'd be leary of any doctor who said either is risk free.

- Jena
  • Options
    imagejen5/03:

Most OBs seem very prepared to talk about VBAC risks.

But oddly, they never seem to mention the risks inherent to repeat c/s.

Ideally, I think an OB should discuss the risks of both options and I'd be leary of any doctor who said either is risk free.

totally agree!

I used a midwife in a hospital for my VBAC and they require a consult with an OB around 36 weeks.  They gave me a whole sheet where my husband and I had to initial by each risk we were taking saying that we understood.  The OB went line by line explaining the risks of VBAC with us.

When I has my C/S I was handed a sheet and the nurse said "here are the risks, sign at the bottom.  Basically it says you could die, but that hardly ever happens.  It's just a risk with any surgery."  And they had PLENTY of time to go over risks with me since they scheduled my section 3 weeks before it actually happened.  If only I knew then what I know now!

Anyway, all that to say that I think there are risks to both VBAC and ERCS, but it is just a matter of which risks feel better to you.  I also recommend doing lots of research on your own to help you make the choice.  Good luck!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Yes. Mine went over the risks in tremendous detail. I think that she would have drawn a picture of a rupturing uterus if I let her.But she also went over the risks of a repeat C/S for me and the risks to a third pregnancy, if I have a second C/S.

Your friend's story sounds really scary.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Not really, to be honest.  I switched to a FP doctor (who did mention the risk of rupture, but kind of had the same idea about it that I did - pretty low and didn't make a big deal out of it at all) and so I'll have to go for an OB consultation where they will go over the risks more in depth.  I do plan on going in there informed about c/s risks as well and see if they'll discuss those, too (just because SO much of what you hear is focused on VBAC risks, and I've found it hard to really get into a good comparison sometimes, so I want to know going in there and see what the OB's numbers say).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I saw mostly midwives for my care before having DD but they required me to meet with the OBs for the last month of appointments to have a closer watch on the baby.  I also was told that the OB had to be there to deliver DD though she was hardly around, only checked me a few times and then caught the baby when ready :) Nurse did the rest.

I did have to sign a consent form saying that I understood the risks.  I imagine if I chose to have a repeat c-section they would have had me sign forms then as well and we would have gone over those risks.

To give you confidence though, I had an amazing VBAC, went drug free, walked and moved the whole labor and felt amazing after.  The recovery was night and day compared to the c-section with DS.  You couldn't wipe the smile off my face for weeks. You need to choose what is best for you, I knew 110% that I wanted the VBAC regardless, but also knew that I had a good chance to succeed (smaller babies, dilated fine with first labor, spontaneous start to labor both times, got the c-section due to DS in distress, not cause of my own body having problems) Good luck with whatever you choose :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"