Military Families
Options

To reenlist or not to reenlist?

Oh how I wish Dh would make up his mind, he is over seas so I told him he needs to make up his mind before he comes home. I honestly dont care what he does. If he does good, we have financial stability. If he doesn't still fine we get to be closer to home... I guess we really should sit down and write out the pro's and con's. What would you ladies want? For your H's to reenlist or get out?

Re: To reenlist or not to reenlist?

• Options

I'm in the same boat. On one hand, I'm terrified of our future because he hasn't gone to college. On the other hand, I totally don't want to go through another deployment.

I've left it up to him.

• Options

DH reenlisted in July, we had to have a looong talk about it before hand. He loves his job, and I was raised military so it was the norm for me, but at the time of his reenlistment I was pregnant. I have a 5 year old SS, and he had already missed so much because of his job, he wasn't sure he wanted to do that again.

In the end we decided the benefits outweighed the negatives, and he happily signed his name on the dotted line again. We have since decided to just continue until he retires. We understand it means deployments, underways, training, days/months apart, but in the end, he loves it.

Reenlisting is a huge deal, but either way, thanks for his service!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageKaLu16:

I'm in the same boat. On one hand, I'm terrified of our future because he hasn't gone to college. On the other hand, I totally don't want to go through another deployment.

I've left it up to him.

Thats one of my issues too I have a year of school and he has none. So one of us needs to get our butt in gear!! I cant say how I fully feel about deployment yet because Im so busy I hardly have time to think about how much it sucks!

• Options
    imagelyndsey0417:
    imageKaLu16:

I've left it up to him.

Thats one of my issues too I have a year of school and he has none. So one of us needs to get our butt in gear!! I cant say how I fully feel about deployment yet because Im so busy I hardly have time to think about how much it sucks!

I hear from everyone how terrible the job market is and it scares me. Im currently a SAHM but I do have a degree. I'm scared that he will get out of the Army and I'll feel a ton of pressure to provide for all three of us.  I love working but I'm not ready to go back full time after deployment.

Honestly I feel like deployment isn't as terrible as I thought it would be. It's really just fear and worry. Otherwise, we're good.

• Options

DH has already reenlisted once and his new EAS is july 2012.  However, his new orders are for 3 years so he will be reenlisting.  :)  He LOVES the Marine Corps and he loves his job.  He's going to be in until they kick him out he says.

As much as I hate him being gone I can't imagine us in the civilian world.  It scares the bejeezus out of me.  Thankfully, he's non deployable with these new orders.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My husband has deemed himself a "lifer"... ha.  But he really loves his job and the opportunities.  :o)
  • Options

My DH has already reenlisted once and his ETS date is Aug 2013. Right now he swears he is getting out (he'll have been in for about 8 years), but that has to do with his current unit/command. Now he had PCS orders so I don't know what he'll end up deciding once he is with a new unit (that can't be any worse than his current) that I think he'll like. 

I'm very torn on the whole subject. I'd love to get out and be back near our family, especially now that were expecting a baby. But, at the same time I'm scared of what the real world will be like.

For me, and DH, deployment is a big deal, but we are Army and my DH is Infantry, We have done a 14 month deployment to Iraq, and 12 to Afghanistan. That is a LONG time apart with him on some pretty intense missions. I think deployment is different for everyone though baised on what the time apart is, what the communication is like, things of that nature. We haven't had the best experience in that arena. 

I guess to answer your question. I have NO idea! I guess its something DH and I will have to seriously talk about and weigh out the pros and cons when the time comes. Assuming he changes his mind. 

• Options

I just jumped on this board to lurk for a while because I was born and raised as a Navy brat. (Well, my dad joined when I just turned 3, but the military life is all I remember). And it is very difficult to be a Navy brat, being moved around all the time, not having any long-lasting friends from preschool. I have lived in 12 houses and I am only 24 years old now. My dad had to miss my highschool graduation and my wedding because of being in the military. You will have to make major sacrifices down the road, and "to enlist or not to enlist" will be jus the first of many struggles and tough decisions. However, if it weren't for being raised as a Navy brat, I wouldn't be who I am today. I have learned to respect my country, and my country's leaders (even during the times that I do not totally agree with them). I have also become more open to other cultures. When I was 8 or so, my dad became a reservist rather than active duty. He said that was a poor move. He missed being on active duty. You have to consider DH's desires, your desires, and your baby's desires, and make the decision that is best for all of you. I hope I helped.

P.S. My dad is now officially retired from the Navy, as of about a week ago. :) 

• Options
    I guess we're in the minority, because if we had the option to get out now (or anytime in the near future) we would do it without hesitation.  My H still owes 10 years for the education he received on the Army's dime, so it's not going to be in the card for us for awhile, but his earning potential out of the service is nearly quadruple what he makes now, and he's in a high-demand field so finding a civilian job wouldn't be a concern.  If it was, I would be much more leery of ETS-ing. 
  • Options

imagelyndsey0417:
    What would you ladies want? For your H's to reenlist or get out?

How many years does he have in?  it sux to think of it this way, but DH and I both decided that after 10 years in, thats the do or die cut off we are in it for the long haul.  (dh has 6 years left and I have 7 until retirement) you dont want to throw 10 years away for nothing, 6 years? yeah it was a job/experience/travel oppertunity

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 IAmPregnant Ticker}
  • Options
    DH is going to reenlist.  He'll have 8 years left by then so he figures he might as well.  He wont if he REALLY hates what he's doing though.  but I doubt it.  Also - I have grown up military.  the thought of being in the civilian world scares me.  Plus, neither DH nor I have a degree.  I'm almost done with mine but it will be teaching (Lord knows teaching doesn't pay that much!).  Once we both have our degrees I don't think I'll care what he wants to do.  I do leave the option up to him though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We went through this last time he reenlisted and we started already talking about it again several months ago (his ETS is Feb 2013).  Now we may not have much of a choice since they started the process for the med board.  I am terrified of him getting out, especially with not much notice or preparation.  We are trying to plan for either way since we don't know if he will be med boarded or not.
  • Options
    I just signed for another 3. It was a long hard decision and trust me, I changed my mind 5000 times.  I *honest to God* sat down and wrote out a pros/cons list. The deciding factor for me was when I was offered a full time job in the national guard.  It's the best of both worlds and I signed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My husband was medically retired in 2006 after almost 4 years in. Before the army agreed to retire him, he was up for reenlistment. Our options for PCS were Ft. Drum or Ft. Bliss, I wouldnt't have survived at either.

In the end things have worked out. He is finishing his bachelor's degree in May using the GI Bill. I believe that you should consider if he doesn't reenlist, the possibility of VA compensation for any documented injuries, and the new GI Bill living stipend to attend college (bachelors/ masters).

There is life after the military, especially with the new GI Bill. I was able to graduate from college in 2005 and start my career while he has been going to school, it works for us.

Good luck,

Applejackrach

• Options
    imageAbbney:

imagelyndsey0417:
    What would you ladies want? For your H's to reenlist or get out?

How many years does he have in?  it sux to think of it this way, but DH and I both decided that after 10 years in, thats the do or die cut off we are in it for the long haul.  (dh has 6 years left and I have 7 until retirement) you dont want to throw 10 years away for nothing, 6 years? yeah it was a job/experience/travel oppertunity

Wow, I could have written that whole paragraph myself! DH and I said the same thing and he has less than 6 years left and I have just over 7 years left until we are eligible to retire.  I may stay in longer depending on where I am in my career. 

Also, I have no idea what we would do if we got out right now! We both have to finish our degrees.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"