Postpartum Depression

Could this be the start of something?

I have no idea what signs or symtoms to look out for as I have no history with depression.

Since my daughter was born in sept I have started to feel very detached from my husband, I get agitated with him and pick a fight for almost no reason.  I feel very overwhelmed with taking care of my LO and doing housework.  I often sometimes feel very sad and depressed...this is not everyday but often enough.  I get very anxious late at night...I get butterflies in my stomach...I think is because I am thinking about getting sleep.  I don't know if this could be the start of something?

Thanks

BFP#4: 2/2/19, EDD 10/8/19
BFP#3: 9/4/11, EDD 5/13/12, DD Born 5/14/12
BFP#2: 5/8/11, EDD 1/24/12 missed mc 
BFP#1: 1/24/10, EDD 9/24/10, DD Born 9/25/10

Re: Could this be the start of something?

• I had no history of depression either but ended up with a pretty rough battle with PPD. I can relate to a lot of what you are saying. I felt the exact same way at night! As soon as the sun would go down I would get very anxious. I wanted to sleep so badly, but I was terrified I would sleep through the baby crying. It was awful.

I really suggest that if you think something isn't right you should talk to your doctor. I was nervous about it, but in the end I was so glad I did. Hugs and good luck :)

PCOS dx 2008 | BFP #1 2/26/2009 with Metformin
    Owen Matthew 11/1/2009 4lbs 10oz 16.5in
    Born 5 weeks early by C/S | Severe Pre-Eclampsia
    BFP #2 5/1/2011 | M/C @ 7 weeks | D&C 5/25/2011
    TTC #2 | HSG Clear | SA 2% Morph otherwise great
    3 failed Femara/TI cycles moving on to IUI
  • What you're describing sounds completely normal. You just had a baby, you're sleep deprived, and the life you previously knew has been turned upside down! Throw in those annoying hormones and it's no wonder new moms feel this huge, overwhelming sense of pressure, anxiety, etc. I've had 4 babies, and though recovery was different with each of them, I remember feeling that anxiety and sadness during the 1st year! I really blame it on lack of sleep and hormones, plus all the responsibility you take on once the baby comes. I went to the doctor a few months after baby #3 was born because I thought I had PPD, and I probably did. Instead of giving me anti depression/anxiety meds, she asked what I used to do to relieve stress. For me, it was and still is, excercise. Of course, with a new baby I was thinking, how in the hell am I going to get out and excercise? Well, I got a jogger and started little by little.

What I'm trying to say is, start doing little hings for yourself. I know this is not the cure all to everything going on, but it may help! Start going on walks with the baby. Walk down to a local coffee shop and indulge in a drink. Find a moms group where you can talk with other moms about what you're going through. Trust me, you are not the only one having these feelings! Get out of the house! It'll be good for you and the baby:) And TRY to make time for you and your husband. I know, you're prob. not the biggest fan of him right now, but trust me, plan a date so he knows he's still special, and I'm telling you, that will go a looong way! He'll be much more willing to help:) Do you have family that can babysit for a couple hours? Anyhow, I feel for you. Life is different now and it' an adjustment, but you'll get through this! If you really feel as though things are not picking up, then by all means, go to your Dr. and get some help. Good luck and congrats on your new family!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"