Military Families
Options

Fort Stewart

Looks like we are headed there this summer sometime (unless/until something changes! lol). Anyone there and care to share? We'll either be moving with me 8 months pregnant or with a very newborn so housing is my main concern right now! lol

Re: Fort Stewart

• Options

We've only been here a month, so I don't know too much about the area, but I will try...

The nice new housing is only for families of 4+. The other housing on base is run down and just not a place I would live. I cannot speak from experience, but I've only heard bad things about Hinesville. The closest town to look into would be Richmond Hill, but there isn't a whole lot of housing there. A bunch of guys in H's unit just moved into a new apartment complex in Pembroke (don't know the name of it - sorry). We live in Pooler. It's a 45 min drive each way to the gate, but for us it is well worth it.

Sidenote: The road (144) coming in to the gates/garrison area is 19 miles long and considered part of the base (which means MPs patrol this road) and the speed limit is 45/55. No matter where you live off base (aside from Hinesville, which has a gate right in town), plan on making this 25 min drive 2x a day.

Nestie iluvmytxrgr is at HAAF. She's been very helpful with any questions I've had.

• Options
    We just PCSed, DH is at Hunter AAF so I don't know about housing at Stewart, but wanted to say welcome! We live in Pooler as well, but Richmond Hill is closer to Stewart and from what I have heard, the school system is better than the Savannah-Chatham schools.
    Our Blog TTC since 10/2004 Follistim+Ovidril+Metformin=BFP on 12/8/08 2 heartbeats-12/30/08 Betas- 10DPO-104 12DPO-274 Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I looked at the housing website and its a bummer that all that pretty new housing is for those with bigger families. :( I'd be fine with an apartment except we have a 95lb Lab. I can already see this being just a blast looking for a house with a newborn. Ugh! lol
  • Options
    We've been here for almost 2 years. Depending on your husbands rank, you'll probably be better living off post with the amount you get for BAH. We live in Hinesville and while most of the town is pretty trashy I LOVE our neighborhood. There are quite a few neighborhoods that are nice, you just have to find them. Richmond Hill is way nicer, but I just can't bring myself to live half an hour from post, I know my husband would be miserable with that drive. Umm, if you have any questions shoot me a message, I only come over here once in a blue moon :)
  • Options
    Hi, we are at Hunter.  I grew up here in Savannah.  I would suggest you live off post in either the Richmond Hill area or the Bloomingdale area.  If you haven't delivered when you get here, I suggest delivering at Candler in Savannah. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

hi there guys

the dh & i are moving there in january! hope to meet some of you=)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"