VBAC

VBAC Question

Hello ladies. 

I am not pregnant but I have been thinking about baby number two lately and DH and I are aiming for 2.5 to 3 years from now. Lately, I have been thinking about having a VBAC. Saint Peter's in Olympia does not do VBAC's but Capital Medical Center does. I really liked Saint Peter's and do not know much about Capital Medical Center. Would it be easier to just have a home birth?

What would you suggest? I really want to have a vaginal birth. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: VBAC Question

• I'd start looking for VBAC friendly providers - contact your local ICAN list (visit https://www.ican-online.org/ to look for a local chapter) and see if they have any suggestions.  Perhaps there's a great OB, family practice doctor or midwife in the area that they can recommend. It will give you a good idea of what others in your area have done and dealt with from different practitioners.

The question of homebirth vs. hospital birth is rather personal & complex. I'm personally not a homebirther, so I found a FP doctor that I'm confident will give me a good shot and be a good partner in my care.  However, for most low-risk VBACs, a homebirth is a great option.  Are there any birth centers in your area that can do VBACs?  That may be another option to consider. 

Good luck with your research and your VBAC once the time comes - this is a perfect time to start figuring out your options and what plans you want to make for your next birth! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Since you are so far away from having a VBAC and rules and regulations change all the time, and who will do what and who won't change as well, I'd just try to keep lurking on the ICAN website, first to worst, the bump, your local board etc. to stay educated on where things are right now. You could ask keep asking local mom's about their birth experiences and doctors so you could find one that fits your ideals. Locating a doula wouldn't be a bad idea either, b/c they may tell you the truth about who is VBAC friendly and who is not.

I'd be an information gatherer, so you could make the best decision down the road. Which you're doing since you are already asking questions about it. :)

• Loading the player...
  • As far as home birth goes, it's not for me. I definitely have respect for doctors and the options they have at the hospital to take care of me and my baby if need be.

I'd say most that have a home birth VBAC are very happy with it. Sometimes you hear stories about how the midwife had to move them to a hospital.

• I think if you are even considering a HBAC, you should start researching. Go to meet and greets, talk to MWs and moms (local) who have done it. Get on ICAN. I feel really lucky to have switched to an OB (after my 1st birth) who is so amazing, active on the local ICAN forums, and even delivered a set of VBAC triplets last winter. But even with this awesome doctor, there was one thing that I couldn't get over with being in a hospital, and that was "the clock". The clock got me the first time (I was fine, baby was fine, but 27 hours with my water broken - even without a fever - made them want to cut me). This new doc offered me more time than that, but the fact that he had an end time was enough for me to want to put myself in a place where that was completely off the table. That's how I decided to HBAC. I asked my current HBMW about the PROM and she said as long as I didn't have a fever I could sit around for weeks. They do it for moms of preemies, but my healthy full term baby and I didn't get that respect. That is what sold me.

I can tell you that preparing for a HB is a lot of work. You have to be responsible for everything, but with responsibility comes added gains. I won't have to fight during my labor and birth, I won't have to worry about taking my older child somewhere, I won't have to worry about when to go to the hospital, I won't have to fight. I feel very empowered. 

I'm not going to lie, there have been a few moments so far where I have thought about going "mainstream", but I know in my heart this is what's right for me and my family. 

GL! And, BTW, your LO is ADORABLE!

The Knot won't share my Bump Siggy, so here's the low-down: 4/27/07 - Got engaged! 8/31/08 - Got married (to my best friend)! 12/30/08 - Got Pregnant! 9/3/09 - Welcome to the world, Elias Solomon! 8/16/10 - Got Pregnant, again! 5/14/11 - Welcome to the world, Talia Hadassah! 1/14/12 - Ready or not, here comes #3 (EDD 9/27/12)
  • Are you wanting to stay in Olympia? I've heard a lot of good things about the Birthing Inn in Tacoma. It's a lot like a home setting and they have tubs you can give birth in, too. I would think most mid wives would be supportive of a vbac.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"