Infertility
Options

low morphology/motility - birth defects?

Does anyone know if a 0% morphology and low motility could lead to higher rate of miscarriage and/or birth defects?

Thanks 

Married 5/2002 TTC #1 since 3/2010 Male Factor Infertility (low motility) 1/31/11 - starting first IVF cycle w/ ICSI 2/18/11 - started follistim and menopur 3/2/11 - ER (31 eggs, 23 fertilized, 4 frozen, 1 ET) 3/7/11 - Transfered 1 embie....fingers crossed. 3/16/11 - BETA #1 - 102!!! BFP, 3/18/11 - BETA #2 - 235!! 10/26/2011 - Our little girl arrived Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: low morphology/motility - birth defects?

• Options

Well, my DH has low everything. 5 mil count,6%motility and 2% morph. He had the SCSA done and the aneuploidy test. We found that he has elevated levels of trisomy 16 and 18 abnormalities in his sperm.

I don't know that is the case with everyone but it is worth additional testing IMO. After I had 3 m/cs(the one that was tested was becasue of trisomy16)and did 5 IVFs, we saw an IF Uro.I wish we did this before I had all of these losses.

Best of luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We have the same diagnosis and were told by our previous RE (she left the practice) that it has no effect on anything. 
    TTC since July 2009.
    MFI, Moving onto IVF-ICSI.
    IVF #1 = BFP - sadly a blighted ovum discovered at 7 wks.
    D+C 12/7/10.
    IVF#2 - ER 3/27. 8 fertilized. ET 4/1; transferred 2 blasts; 2 frosties (total of 3 now)
    Beta #1, 4/11 = 291! Beta#2, 4/18 = 2702. Beta #3, 4/25 = 17303.
    Ultrasound #1, 4/29 = 1 perfect baby and heartbeat!.
    7/21 = a/s! It's a boy!!
    Robert Lawrence was born on December 1st at 4:32 am weighing 6lb 3oz, 19.5 inches long and healthy as anything!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageLUVNE:
    We have the same diagnosis and were told by our previous RE (she left the practice) that it has no effect on anything

This. I think the general concensus is that if the sperm is able to fertilize the egg and the embryo implants and the PG continues along as normal, then the morphology of the sperm is a non-issue by that point. At the end of the day, it basically affects the motion of the sperm, not the genetic material contained within it, so if it's smart and fast enough to fertilize the egg, it's a keeper!

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

(((hugs)))  My hubby had VERY LOW sperm count only 700,000. So he doens't even make the million mark.  He also had low motility 30% and the sample was so low wthey could never successfully do a morphology to check for shapes.

We were a definite candidate for ICSI and that's what we did.  I think with ICISI since they are picking the best of the best there is less potential for birth defects but let me preface this by saying I know NOTHING OF genetics and am not trained.  I do know that my lab supervisor said that the sperm he picked were normal, good shaped heads and tails with no problems.  You could possible do the PGD test or CGH (i think that's how you spell it).  I was not a candidate because I only got 5 eggs total and only 3 fertilized.

Sorry I can't be more help, but we are all hear to listen ((((hugs))))

Married to the Mr. 8/6/2008- Together 10+ TTC #2 R/X unexplained infertility/premature ovarian failure/diminished ovarian reserve
    FSH (16) AMH (.61) AFC (9)
    Male factor: low sperm count/ low motility
    IVF #1 11/10 brought us DS Stimming for IVF #2 begin 11/5/11 AFC (7) =( Protocol: Lurpon flare (2 days) + Lupron 10ml/Menopur 4 vials (AM) Lupron 10ml/300IU Gonal-F PM (converted to IUI) failed IVF 2.1 1/12 BFP!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"