Military Families
Options

MSG maybe next year?

Okay, well my DH is deciding to either go the Drill Instructor route or the MSG route, thats where he (and us) will go to three different countries in three different years for him to be a Marine Security Guard of the embassy.  Either one he choses our little one will just be 12 months old.. I would love to stay in the States so I can still see family if he decides to be a D.I. But then again I would love to travel to other countries and experience new things. But it breaks my hear that our little one will be away from grandparent for 3 years. (I guess thats where Skype comes in). Just wondering if anyone has experienced this? I guess Iam just scared to move at all, this will be my first move out of state or country with DH. But hey I knew what I was getting myself into! Just need some reassurance =/

Re: MSG maybe next year?

• Options

Can he do MSG? I thought married people couldn't.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would recommend going for MSG duty. DH works on a training range and the DIs are there ALL THE TIME. Having gone through my own boto camp as well, ours were hardly ever not there. I would rather my DS be able to spend more time with his father then grandparents.

And like you said, you can Skype the grandparents, but you can't Skype your DI husband while he is at work a lot of times 24/hrs day.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My DH and I are at an embassy and he says:

MSG duty generally requires a 3 year commitment and all the marines except the det commander have to be unmarried and with no dependents during their 3 year tour. Likewise, they will have to sign paperwork that they understand this commitment and adhere to the terms. If your husband is an E-7 (some dets might take an E-6), you and your DC can go with your DH as the det commander can have and bring dependents. 

If you want more information, PM me and DH can get you in contact with the det commander at our embassy. 

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemeltoine:

My DH and I are at an embassy and he says:

MSG duty generally requires a 3 year commitment and all the marines except the det commander have to be unmarried and with no dependents during their 3 year tour. Likewise, they will have to sign paperwork that they understand this commitment and adhere to the terms. If your husband is an E-7 (some dets might take an E-6), you and your DC can go with your DH as the det commander can have and bring dependents. 

If you want more information, PM me and DH can get you in contact with the det commander at our embassy. 

thanks for your reply. He didn't mention anything about det commander the other day, but I did just ask him and he stated that he does have to be an E-6 to go..he is going up for meritorious staff sergeant late this year or early next. He has spoke to his higher ranks and they all suggest him doing the MSG duty.

As for the other post, I think I do agree with you, Drill Instructors are gone practically every day and I will never see him. Atleast if he does MSG that would be probably a once in a lifetime chance for me to see the world. I am a nurse though and as far as I know my license would not transfer over there, so I might just be a SAHM for 3 years and when we move back to the states then it's preschool time!

• Options

imagedanak0312:
    I am a nurse though and as far as I know my license would not transfer over there, so I might just be a SAHM for 3 years and when we move back to the states then it's preschool time! 

Not necessarily. It depends where you are and how big the embassy is, but our embassy has its own medical clinic and all of the nurses there are spouses of SMs stationed there. Since the embassy is technically the US, you don't have to transfer your license because you are practicing in the US. Only the biggest embassies have their own medical clinics, but its not totally out of the question.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemeltoine:

imagedanak0312:
    I am a nurse though and as far as I know my license would not transfer over there, so I might just be a SAHM for 3 years and when we move back to the states then it's preschool time! 

Not necessarily. It depends where you are and how big the embassy is, but our embassy has its own medical clinic and all of the nurses there are spouses of SMs stationed there. Since the embassy is technically the US, you don't have to transfer your license because you are practicing in the US. Only the biggest embassies have their own medical clinics, but its not totally out of the question.  

This -I was an FSO for several years, and most embassies have needs for nurses, the smaller ones have regional medical offices in a nearby embassy--

GL!

BFP#1 twins--m/c Baby B-- DC#1 DS 03/22/05 BFP#2 m/c 2006 BFP#3/DC#2 DD 10/22/09 BFP #4! EDD 9/15/12 at 9 dpo BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I would definitely advise going MSG if possible. I've had a lot of friends do it (not as det commanders), who had the time of their lives. I would be surprised if they accepted a brand new SNCO for the program. I know some of the people I'm friends with had E6s as their det commanders, but they had been E6s for at least a couple years, were in the zone for E7, and were selected during their MSG duty for gunny. 

Is he totally anti-recruiting? What about being an MCT instructor? I've heard that's not as rough on a family as DI. 

I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • Options
    imageWishIcouldbeinthe'stan:

I would definitely advise going MSG if possible. I've had a lot of friends do it (not as det commanders), who had the time of their lives. I would be surprised if they accepted a brand new SNCO for the program. I know some of the people I'm friends with had E6s as their det commanders, but they had been E6s for at least a couple years, were in the zone for E7, and were selected during their MSG duty for gunny. 

Is he totally anti-recruiting? What about being an MCT instructor? I've heard that's not as rough on a family as DI. 

Sad to yes but def. yes he is totally anti-recruiting. He said that MCT would be his last choice, but recruiting not even a choice at all. I honestly can't picture him trying to recruit anyone especially a high school kid or some guy with a full beard and an attitude. He is all about training (He is a MCMAP instructor and soon to be Instructor Trainer, so I believe he would enjoy doing something like MCT .. I am kinda starting to hope he gets MSG duty. =)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"