Connecticut Babies

Short Term Disability in CT?

I have a question about short term disability (STD). My DH and I have been talking about starting our family in the near future. Only one problem we both work and would like to keep our income close to the same after we have our child (we can live on one income if we had to). I know I might be getting a head of myself a little but if I need to apply so long before I need it I would like to be prepared. 

This is because my job only allows 1 week "parental leave" for the birth or adoption of a child. I know I need to see if I have STD under my employer but my question is have any of you had any experience with this either from your employer or the state that might be able to point me in the right direction? I have had family member telling me to check into this but other than talking to my employer I'm unsure where to go from there.

Thank you for all your help. 

Re: Short Term Disability in CT?

• Your STD should be in your handbook from your job. Per FMLA (family medical leave act) you can take up to 12 weeks off when you have a baby, this does not mean your employer has to pay you, you just have the right to take the time off and still have your job or a compareable job with the same pay and benefits when you return. You really have to check the details of your STD policy, some will pay for 6/8 weeks post birth for recovery and some don't. Most you pay into will see it as a preexsisting condition if you wait until your pregnant to start up.
  • Thanks that helps. I was talking to my mom and she mentioned something about it but she couldn't give me any details. I talked to my boss and someone in HR who is going to be sending me the information. I don't think we have very good coverage thou so I might have to look into private disability leave. Thanks again.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am looking for similar info too. I would like to add, that you can get maternity leave only if you work for company 12 months...

I know Aflec has something like this, my husband has accident insurence w/ them at his work place, but they don't cover spouse short term disability and recomended me to get one from them.

I found short term disability insurance in this site https://www.growingfamilybenefits.com/about , but didn't get the details yet. Only thing they want you to start the policy before getting pregnant. I would like to see or someone has experience with them.

Any other financial aid info for two TTC working people family would be very helpful too. 

,,,it took two years to get there,,,
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"