Potty Training
Options

For those that still use pull ups for sleeping

DD is just about fully PT during waking hours (only an occasional accident here and there) but we're having some issues w/napping and sleeping.

We go potty before every nap and almost every single day, she'll actually get out of bed, pee in her panties, and undress and go back to bed naked (so she doesn't pee in her bed).

I restrict fluids after 7 pm and she goes potty before we get in jammies every single night.  She still wakes up w/a full pull up in the morning. By the time I get to her room she has already taken off her pull up and pj bottoms and put on regular panties (which incidentally are dry.)

Anyone else? Thoughts? I can't figure out what to do besides just keep doing what we're doing and hope she grows out of it.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: For those that still use pull ups for sleeping

• Options

No longer peeing during sleep times is something their body needs to do on its own. Meaning their brain needs to send a signal to their bladder to hold it or wake up to go and that is something they develop and mature over time. It is not on any particular timeframe or stage of developement. It is also not something they can learn, it is a brain maturity thing. Every kids is different, some kids will not develop this ability until they are 4,5 or 6 years old, which is why we now have underjams on the market. I think when we were kids the thoughts of our parents or what they were told was, kids wet the bed because of behavioral issues, when in fact they just needed more time to grow out of it. I remember my brother (who was 13 months younger than me) getting into trouble for wetting his bed at night and I was probably 6 and he was 5. He didn't do it on purpose and by the time he was 6 he just stopped doing it.

I plan on keeping the girls in pull ups overnight until they consistantly wake up dry every morning and are able to get themselves to the potty when they get up and go before going in the pull up they have on. Right now they are still in cribs so this is happening anytime soon. I also restrict fluids at 7pm (bedtime is 9pm), they both pee maybe twice from 7-9pm on the potty and always pee a little bit on the potty while brushing their teeth before bed. But they both wake up with wet pull ups in the morning, so they are just not ready to not have on a pull up at night.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageregenab:

No longer peeing during sleep times is something their body needs to do on its own. Meaning their brain needs to send a signal to their bladder to hold it or wake up to go and that is something they develop and mature over time. It is not on any particular timeframe or stage of developement. It is also not something they can learn, it is a brain maturity thing. Every kids is different, some kids will not develop this ability until they are 4,5 or 6 years old, which is why we now have underjams on the market. I think when we were kids the thoughts of our parents or what they were told was, kids wet the bed because of behavioral issues, when in fact they just needed more time to grow out of it. I remember my brother (who was 13 months younger than me) getting into trouble for wetting his bed at night and I was probably 6 and he was 5. He didn't do it on purpose and by the time he was 6 he just stopped doing it.

I plan on keeping the girls in pull ups overnight until they consistantly wake up dry every morning and are able to get themselves to the potty when they get up and go before going in the pull up they have on. Right now they are still in cribs so this is happening anytime soon. I also restrict fluids at 7pm (bedtime is 9pm), they both pee maybe twice from 7-9pm on the potty and always pee a little bit on the potty while brushing their teeth before bed. But they both wake up with wet pull ups in the morning, so they are just not ready to not have on a pull up at night.

Thanks for your response. I totally understand this and know it will take some time.

What do your LO's do for naps? Do they wear pull ups for naps, too? Should I go back to putting one on her for naps?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I do put pull ups on them for naps, but 90% of the time they wake up dry. They usually have some liquids at about 11am and then nothing until they go to nap (because they don't ask for it), and I have them pee right before nap. I did try not putting them in pullups for nap one day and that was the day one needed to pee and she peed the bed and woke herself up and would not go back to sleep. So for now they nap in a pullup. If they are completely dry after nap, I just put that pull up on them that night for bed so it is not wasted.

Right now they are trying to drop the nap on me, so I have a feeling they will stop napping all together before I stop putting a pull up on them for nap.

If it were me I would put her back in a pull up for nap. Since she is getting up to pee during nap and taking off her wet panties then she cannot get through a nap without peeing, so I would just put the pull up on her so she doesn't have to get up and can sleep more soundly. But again this is me because I have 2 and the days they don't nap or don't nap well are not good evenings at all.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"