New Jersey Babies

picking a peditrician

i have a pediatric practice in mind... ( Pediatric Specialties in Hackensack~~ comments please?)

but how do i go about "making them our peditrician?"  

did you really interview them? 

what do you ask?

did they seem to care that you wanted an interview? 

HELP.... we have 6 wks to go!!!!!!!!!

Re: picking a peditrician

• I am a mom of two already and I tried interviewing peditricians prior to delivering.  Mixed results.  First we asked friends in our area for recommendations.  From that list we looked at who was in network for our insurance.  You'll also need to ensure that the baby's doctor works with the hospital that you deliver at as they visit everyday just as the OB will see you.  We only met with one doctor prior to delivery.  We had a good interview and she was recommended to us by another family.  Other practices told us that they do not do interviews and that they are accepting new patients and to let them know at the hospital.  I was turned off by that approach, especially as a first time mom. 

Well, as it turns out, we went with the first doctor and after a few months I was miserable.  We ended up "breaking up" with her and going with one of the others that were recommended but wouldn't meet with us.  In the end, we are very happy with our change. 

Trust your insticts but realize that you can change if you need or want.  I would recommend an office close to your house as you'll be there a lot these first years.  I like a practice with more than one doctor so you always have back up.  Sick/well rooms for visits are important to me, when you are visiting with a two week old you don't want every child with the flu leaning over him/her!  And, yes, we did interview the first doctor, we had a list and everything.  She didn't seem phased.

The hospital will ask you for the pedi's name when you are admitted to deliver and they will contact the doctor once the baby is born.  They will check the baby every day that he/she is in the hospital.

Good Luck!

• wow... thanks so much!!
  • Loading the player...
  • it's not remotely important that your pediatrician have privileges at the hospital where you're going to deliver. If your doctor doesn't go there, the house pedi will see the baby, and you'll see your regular pediatrician upon d/c from the hospital.
    Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • we picked  our  pedi  by  a  process of  elimination. one  that  was covered on  both our  insurances, had  priveleges at  our  hospital  and  had  good  reviews. we interviewed with   one  of the   docs  on  staff and  they  spent a  lot of  time  with us  and  seemed  sincere. No, their  pedi  doesn't  have  to  have  priveleges,  but  we  felt  more  comfortable  that way. 

Since  then  we've  met  with a  few different  docs  and  have  decided  who  we like  and  who  we  don't.  So  now  we  do  appointments  based on  that.  You  have  to  like the  office  staff as well, as  they  are the  ones  you  communicate  with  most  of  the  time.  So  not  doing  an  interview before the  baby is  born,  I  don't  hold  against  the  doctor,  but  a  rude  receptionist sucking her teeth at  me  and  making me  feel  like  it's  ridiculous  to want to  meet the  doc-  def  gets  a  no go  from  me. Remember  you  are going to  be  calling these people  all the  time.  I  don't  need the   receptionist  telling me  a  fever  is  nothing to worry  about.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"