School-Aged Children

Does your DC's school teach "Everyday Math?"

DD's school uses the Everyday Mathematics Curriculum. I've heard great things about it from other teachers (I teach LA/SS) and I'm glad they are using it, but I'm struggling when it comes to helping her with her homework.

It's so different from the memorization style curriculum I grew up with and I have a hard time explaining the "why's" behind the Everyday system.

Anyone else?

Re: Does your DC's school teach "Everyday Math?"

• I always found the word "why" did not belong in math.  Math is math, it never changes.  I don't really know what the everyday curriculum is all about, but you are going to have a hard time explaining "why" in about every math situation.
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • I teach it and hate it.. but if you need help, feel free to email me.

bhorizons1@yahoo.com

• Loading the player...
  • I taught it for 7 years and hated it. Thankfully my district switched to a new curriculum last year that, though not perfect, makes a lot more sense to me. I hated the lack of practice of basic skills in EDM, and the homework is pointless. It got to a point where I would walk all the kids through the actual homework, then copy a skills worksheet on the back so they could have some practice. The parents were constantly confused with the EDM way of doing things, and if the parents were frustrated and couldn't figure it out you can imagine how the kids felt. EDM sucks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Auntie,  My daughter is only in kindie.  She uses the EM curriculum.  Do you have any suggestions for supplemental resources that I can do at home?  Ugh.  Math is so important.
    Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • EDM doesn't drill enough, IMO.  I teach 3rd and many of my kids can't add or subtract with regrouping when they come to me.  Some can't even do basic facts without their fingers which makes teaching multiplication difficult.

I use this site to print off sheets that focus on those skills.

https://themathworksheetsite.com/

This website is also good.

https://www.superteacherworksheets.com/index.html

HTH!

• I taught EDM and I agree, there isn't enough practice. I taught 3rd. I am off for the year with the baby and they have switched Math Curriculum to something more "standard." I did actually like that it went into the "why" of how math works, but it never allowed for plain old memorization. I also hated that it taught multiplication and division at the same time. I felt that was confusing. The parents also had a really hard time helping their kids. I found I would usually teach something the EDM way and then back it up with other stuff. I skipped 2-3 lessons per chapter too since I found them way too confusing or lame.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • I had a parent teacher conference last night and got the feeling that DD's teacher isn't a fan of it either. I don't think it's a bad way to approach math, I just think it should be integrated with other methods too so that students like my DD who are better at "drill & kill" type memorization problems don't struggle.

Her first instinct is to just do the problem in her head and not worry about figuring out how to show the work. I never thought being naturally good at math would be a hinderance. Her teacher and I have come up with a couple of things that should prevent her from getting too bored.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing children are "bored" doing math EDM or not. I often think that children use the word bored because they don't have a big enough vacabulary to describe other feelings of perhaps frustration, confusion etc. Just putting my two cents in. Rarely do I ever see a bored child in a classroom.
  • imageJoenali:
    I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing children are "bored" doing math EDM or not. I often think that children use the word bored because they don't have a big enough vacabulary to describe other feelings of perhaps frustration, confusion etc. Just putting my two cents in. Rarely do I ever see a bored child in a classroom.

Really? I'm a teacher and I'll be the first to admit that I've had students who have been "bored" with certain parts of the curriculum and even certain subjects.

• imagewarrior*mom:

imageJoenali:
    I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing children are "bored" doing math EDM or not. I often think that children use the word bored because they don't have a big enough vacabulary to describe other feelings of perhaps frustration, confusion etc. Just putting my two cents in. Rarely do I ever see a bored child in a classroom.

Really? I'm a teacher and I'll be the first to admit that I've had students who have been "bored" with certain parts of the curriculum and even certain subjects.

Especially with those math boxes.  For the kids who get it, the review is boring.  It's always done the same way.  Measure this line.  Draw a line that is 6 cm long.

For the kids who don't get it, it covers too much at once.

• imagewarrior*mom:

imageJoenali:

Especially with those math boxes.  For the kids who get it, the review is boring.  It's always done the same way.  Measure this line.  Draw a line that is 6 cm long.

For the kids who don't get it, it covers too much at once.

• image-auntie-:

JMHO.

Every Day Math is the work of the devil. I should like to thave the head of its developer on a stick in my front yard.

I personally hold it responsible for my son's struggles with arithmetic and by association math. That is doesn't require or even encourage mastery allows students to move on without the skills they need build on to the next operations and applications. For the student who is not intuitive, it leaves them with a sense that they can not learn math (which took about 4 years to undo in my house; DS is now an A/B student but will not be able to take the full high school math curriculum without getting some courses on his own at the community college). For bright kids, the result is both boredom at being presented the same stuff year to year which can result in uneven math skills should they not remain engaged.

It sucks. If there was a comparable reading program we'd all be illiterate.

Sounds about right. We teach it, and I detest it.

• My DD's school used it, and we hated it. It was very cyclical and touched on topics before moving on to the next in the hopes of building on the topics as they went. The problem was, no topic was ever fully explained and the kids just ended up being confused. I understand teaching the kids the why's behind learning math, but I think that comes with the process and I think they'd get more out of learning how it applies to real life. Hope that helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't stand it!!!!! I am so glad that it's not just my daughter and I that do not like it. I am an intelligent individual and sometimes the worksheets she brings home leaves me thinking 'wtf'. It was helpful to read everyone's responses, thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"