Military Families

Advice Please

The father of my child is a very unstable person and is in the Army. I have called in to do a check welfare about 20 times on him in the last 2 years and they have only taken him into custody once. ( He claims he is fine and does it for the attention cause he wants me back) We have also taken away his shot gun. I am no longer with him and haven't been for some time but I am wondering who to contact in the Army. I know he lost his job on the Army base but would not tell me why but I know he does go to drill every month.

I guess do I tell the Army about him being unstable or keep it to myself. He has also beat me and punched numerous holes in the wall. 

He lives at home with his parents so he not on a base.

TIA

Re: Advice Please

• Go to Military One Source.com, they have alot of counseling questions and answers and they might can lead you into the right direction, sorry Iam not much help.
  • has he been arrested for domestic violence? if he had and you pressed charges there is no way he'd even be going to drill, at least this is what my H told me. he said if you have domestic assault charges against you you cant have a weapon and therefore the army can't use you and you get kicked out.

but is he threatenign you now? if so document it. keep it. you can even get him in trouble through civilian police if that is the issue.

• Loading the player...
  • Contact the Family Advocacy Office at his post.  They will notify his command.  Either way, he'll end up having to go through the Family Advocacy Office.  The FAO will conduct an investigation and report back to his command.  Since you have a daughter, they will also have to notify CPS.  His command can issue a military protective order while the investigation is taking place to keep him away from you and your daughter. 

Even if the investigation finds that abuse has occurred, he may not be immediately discharged from the service.  But Krista is correct, it is illegal for anyone who has been convicted of a domestic violence charge to possess a firearm.   I work with a women's shelter, and sometimes the service member is ordered to attend counseling or a treatment program and given a punishment under UCMJ that does not involve discharge (but they obviously can't re-enlist).

You really do need to start officially documenting his actions and involve the civilian authorities.  Without a paper trail, it will likely boil down to "he said, she said".  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thank You all for your advice. I did not call the police for the domestic as that was the day I walked away. I do have the bill from the motel he destroyed by punching holes in the wall. I have also saved all the crazy emails and text messages, I did also have a protection order at once.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"