School-Aged Children

6 year olds actions

Ok my 6yo DD has started touching herself in her privates and I dont know how to make her stop. I dont want to make it a huge deal about it because I dont want her to do it causes its forbidden.

Re: 6 year olds actions

• I haven't had to deal with this, but the impression that I get is that you need to tell her that it's ok to do (so she doesn't think it's bad), but that it has to be in private - her bedroom, the bathroom, etc.
  • Have you asked her why she does it? Is she irritated or sore down there maybe? I would think she is too young to be getting any type of sexual gratification from it now. Does she tried to hide it or do it out in the open no matter where she is?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • This is totally normal behavior for any age of child, from infants on up. It feels good, so they do it. You don't need to make a big deal out of it, just tell her that it's not appropriate to do around other people, and she should only do it in her room.
  • imagemeggiekins:
    This is totally normal behavior for any age of child, from infants on up. It feels good, so they do it. You don't need to make a big deal out of it, just tell her that it's not appropriate to do around other people, and she should only do it in her room.
      This.
    Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
  • Also, this is a really good time to slip in a little private-parts talk, and remind her that she should be the only one touching there, and that if anyone else ever tries to touch her like that, she should tell you immediately. It sucks to have to have those conversations with our kids, but you may never get another opening like that for the conversation.
  • my dd started something like this at 3. She would take her pillow and basically lift her bottom up and down on the corner part where it touched her. When it started she did it ALL. THE. TIME. If she was quiet for a while I would go in her room and that is what she was doing. I read up on it and the general advise was not to punish. I would just distract her and start doing something else.

Of course I asked why she did it, did anyone show her how, ect. 

Now she still does it occasionally, but when she is supposed to be napping/going to sleep, so I tell her she is not supposed to be doing anything other than sleeping. Go to bed. I can't just know she is in there and let her do that, normal or not it's just weird to me at that age to do that.  

• imagemeggiekins:
    This is totally normal behavior for any age of child, from infants on up. It feels good, so they do it. You don't need to make a big deal out of it, just tell her that it's not appropriate to do around other people, and she should only do it in her room.

This is almost a direct quote from my Pedi.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"