2nd Trimester

how soon does the baby taste...

the food that you are eating?  i was eating a cinnamon roll and felt her kick harder than before.  It seems really fast for them to taste it.  does it go directly to her when i ingest it?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: how soon does the baby taste...

• You're kidding right.
    dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • Yup. Baby is in your stomach, with her mouth wide open catching your crumbs. De-lish.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekdodge423:

imageRileyGrace:
    You're kidding right.

Nope.

Now I have a headache from rolling my eyes too hard.  Ouch.

dx PCOS on Metformin
    LO#1 - 19 cycles, 3 IUIs, 1 m/c, gonal-f, ganirelix, ovidrel, progesterone
    Totally worth the wait!
    Getting ready for #2
    Back on Met, PCOS diet, prepping for treatments 1/12

Good luck to the wonderful ladies of 3T
    Always cheering on my girls Gymnst1013 & MrsJohns
    My Chart / Info for Newbies
  • hmmm

Yes, baby can taste what you are eating about 2 hours after you eat it... and it tastes the flavors through the amniotic fluid. The baby doesn't actually get any food from you at all, just nutrients in the blood stream. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageErin0922:

Yup. Baby is in your stomach, with her mouth wide open catching your crumbs. De-lish.

Well, I choked on my tootsie roll. I wonder what my baybay thinks of tootsie rolls?
  • When I was pregnant DS and I had a system down, 2 kicks for yes and 1 for no. If he liked the food he would tell me! Helped a ton with morning sickness.
  • imagesleepingbeauty825:
    imageErin0922:

Yup. Baby is in your stomach, with her mouth wide open catching your crumbs. De-lish.

Well, I choked on my tootsie roll. I wonder what my baybay thinks of tootsie rolls?

How could it know? Mama couldn't even swallow it. Next time, relax your throat...?

(oh geez, I told you I was pervie today)?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageanabell0920:
    When I was pregnant DS and I had a system down, 2 kicks for yes and 1 for no. If he liked the food he would tell me! Helped a ton with morning sickness.

::writes down system for future children:: Did you have to go to a special training school to master this ana?  

photo 444e1a74-1f01-47b5-8489-88b2999f2e54_zpse873dcde.jpg 

Mommy's sweet girls

Kaatje Grace 4.26.2010

Eloise Hope 2.10.2012

• imageanabell0920:
    When I was pregnant DS and I had a system down, 2 kicks for yes and 1 for no. If he liked the food he would tell me! Helped a ton with morning sickness.

I love you.

• imagemrs.vanderwall:

imageanabell0920:

::writes down system for future children:: Did you have to go to a special training school to master this ana?  

Nope I just would talk into my vag and he would listen.

• excellent.

photo 444e1a74-1f01-47b5-8489-88b2999f2e54_zpse873dcde.jpg 

Mommy's sweet girls

Kaatje Grace 4.26.2010

Eloise Hope 2.10.2012

• imageanabell0920:
    imagemrs.vanderwall:

imageanabell0920:

I think I just peed a little!  BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! 

• imageanabell0920:
    imagemrs.vanderwall:

imageanabell0920:

::writes down system for future children:: Did you have to go to a special training school to master this ana? ?

You must be very bendy...?

• He could taste faster if you stick a little bit up your vag...
  • You do realize that the umbilical cord doesn't go into the baby's mouth don't you?
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • So am I the only one that has read that they can taste what you're eating? I mean it's not like it's going to get a bite pumped through the umbilical cord but I've read in multiple sources that what you eat changes the taste of amniotic fluid. Babies have been shown to favor foods their mothers ate frequently during pregnancy.

It's in the thing, look it up.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageHyfagal:

So am I the only one that has read that they can taste what you're eating? I mean it's not like it's going to get a bite pumped through the umbilical cord but I've read in multiple sources that what you eat changes the taste of amniotic fluid. Babies have been shown to favor foods their mothers ate frequently during pregnancy.

Someone else posted this further up but it was completely ignored.

Food can alter the taste of amniotic fluid.  I read a study when I was pregnant with DD that said that when amniotic fluid was sweetened, the fetus drank more and when it was spicy some got the hiccups. 

To seriously answer the OP's question, there is about a 2 hour delay between your meal and your baby's "meal", that is when the food you ate is transported through the amniotic fluid as nutrients.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In addition to some food "flavoring" the amniotic fluid, your baby is probably responding to the excess sugar.
  • OP, ignore all the incredibly b!tchy responses.  I'm with Hyfagal and the other PP who said that there are studies that show babies prefer the flavor of things their mom ate frequently while pregnant, when the babies are older.  The study was really interesting, actually.  I recommend googling it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • imagebootsie08:
    imageHyfagal:

So am I the only one that has read that they can taste what you're eating? I mean it's not like it's going to get a bite pumped through the umbilical cord but I've read in multiple sources that what you eat changes the taste of amniotic fluid. Babies have been shown to favor foods their mothers ate frequently during pregnancy.

Food can alter the taste of amniotic fluid.  I read a study when I was pregnant with DD that said that when amniotic fluid was sweetened, the fetus drank more and when it was spicy some got the hiccups. 

To seriously answer the OP's question, there is about a 2 hour delay between your meal and your baby's "meal", that is when the food you ate is transported through the amniotic fluid as nutrients.

i just read about this too when i turned 21 or 22 weeks.  baby can taste what your eating in your amniotic fluid! 

• imagebootsie08:
    imageHyfagal:

I noticed that.  People were so quick to jump on OP's case that they did not realize her post actually had a legit answer.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • thanks for those that answered my question. i was not joking.  i have noticed as soon as i start eating the baby moves like crazy, actually when i eat is when she moves the most, so i was curious.
  • I am pretty sure I read that a baby begins swallowing amniotic fluid at the beginning of the 2nd trimester and they are able to "taste" it at about 28 weeks.
  • yes, baby can taste.  i believe taste starts really early, like 8 weeks gestation, but is really strong by the 2nd/3rd tri.  and studies do show that baby has preference for the food mom ate consistently while pregnant, all the way into toddlerhood and beyond.
  • imagerobs867:
    imagebootsie08:
    imageHyfagal:

Food can alter the taste of amniotic fluid.? I read a study when I was pregnant with DD that said that when amniotic fluid was sweetened, the fetus drank more and when it was spicy some got the hiccups.?

I noticed that.? People were so quick to jump on OP's case that they did not realize her post actually had a legit answer.

It absolutely has a legit answer. They CAN taste in the amniotic fluid. What we were pointing out was the part of the OP where it asked "Does what I digest go DIRECTLY to baby?" and in one of her responses where she says AS SOON AS she takes bites, the baby reacts.?

• If this is true, which I will take your word for it because I'm too lazy to google, then my kid hates/loves tabasco sauce.  Poor kid.  I eat tabasco on pretty much everything.  I have no idea if she enjoys it but if her amniotic fluid is flavored in tabasco sauce I feel for her....yuck!
  • imagevlagrl29:
    thanks for those that answered my question. i was not joking.  i have noticed as soon as i start eating the baby moves like crazy, actually when i eat is when she moves the most, so i was curious.

Ya, to add to the serious answers, what you eat can "flavour" the amniotic fluid, but if baby is squirmy immdediately after you eat, it is reacting to sugar in the blood, not tasting it in the fluid.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• I know this answer is much later than the posted question, but I'm answering anyways. I have noticed the baby move much more while I am eating as well, and it didn't make sense time that he would be tasting it immediately. This is just speculation, but I believe it could be a response to the sounds the baby hears as you are eating and your food is digesting.
  • What in the actual fuck is with the trolls and the zombie threads on this board?? I swear I've never seen it as frequent on any other board.

• Dammit. I'm on mobile and this one fooled me for a couple minutes. I'm leaving my tits anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"